Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Goldenseal and Nursing

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 7:47 PM
  • 6 Replies

I know its not safe to take goldenseal while nursing but is it ok to put it on my tooth abscess a few times a day? and does the age of the child matter? my LO is 17mts.

by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Juniper53098
by June on Nov. 12, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I don't know.  Here's a bump.

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I wouldn't do it long term but topically applied with a toddler, I wouldn't worry as much as internally with an infant. Kellymom used to say it wasn't recommended or contradicted because it can cause a supply dip but that was the pills. I haven't used it personally. 

Char07
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:14 AM
If you are nursing, use breastmilk it's worked great for me before. Mine was in the back so I soaked a pice of rolled up gauze then stuck it against the abcess for 5-10 minutes a few times per day. For the goldenseal can you make a tea with the leaves and root or with the tincture then rinse your mouth with it a few times per day? I use goldenseal on my mouth sparingly while pregnant and nursing without ingesting any and being careful not to use much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:42 PM

bump

newwifenmom
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:26 AM

BM is just great, the abscess is gone but if it comes back I'll try it. I like it for pink eye too.

Quoting Char07:

If you are nursing, use breastmilk it's worked great for me before. Mine was in the back so I soaked a pice of rolled up gauze then stuck it against the abcess for 5-10 minutes a few times per day. For the goldenseal can you make a tea with the leaves and root or with the tincture then rinse your mouth with it a few times per day? I use goldenseal on my mouth sparingly while pregnant and nursing without ingesting any and being careful not to use much.

catholicmamamia
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:29 PM

I would give the breastmilk a try.. :o) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)