Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Reaction to blue dye?

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:23 AM
  • 9 Replies
Anyone experienced this or have thoughts?

Dd has a dairy allergy - congestion, eczema, explosive green poo followed by painful diaper rash, the works...

Neither of us have had any dairy, but she had one of those diapers and rashes yesterday. The only thing new she's had was blue dye - I made her frozen yogurt dots (where you squeeze dots of yogurt on wax paper and freeze them) and since the coconut yogurt (which she's had before) is white I thought I'd make it more fun and added a drop of blue food coloring to the yogurt.

Well, she ate a ton of the dots (about the amount of yogurt that an individual thing of yogurt holds) and then a couple hours later had that diaper and she still has the rash. She'll barely let me clean her when I change her diaper because it hurts her and it's the exact type of rash she gets when she eats dairy.

Anyone else experience this? I found some info online, but most was about dues causing hyperactivity and behavioral issues and those are usually from red and yellow dyes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:37 AM
I've never experienced this, but I've never dyed the kids food. Certainly sounds like you've find the culprit though!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I knew you wouldn't think I was crazy! I'm pretty positive, I just needed affirmation I guess. I posted in one of my crunchy FB groups and they either missed the "no other new foods" part or tried to say it was probably just teething. Like, dude, she's 18 months. Never had a teething rash. Not gonna start now.

Quoting larissalarie:

I've never experienced this, but I've never dyed the kids food. Certainly sounds like you've find the culprit though!
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Nov. 8, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Sorry she has a bad rash.  I don't have experience with this so I'm just going to bump the post.

Proud2BWeird
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 8:49 PM
Food coloring is evil! My parents (and sister, friends, etc.) think we're crazy because we're so adamant about excluding food coloring from our children's diets. We stand our ground, though, since we've seen the effects they have on our kids.

Our oldest is the sweetest, kindest child...until she gets red food coloring in her system. Then you'd think she's the devil's spawn!
The first time our youngest got food coloring (her sisters' dance teacher gave her a lollipop) her whole little body shook like a leaf . It was scary!

These were not one-time incidences.

So, no food coloring is allowed on our house.

Needless to say, I wholeheartedly believe your daughter's issue this time is the food coloring. I hope she feels better soon.
sreichelt26
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Thanks! I know tons of info about how it causes hyperactivity, I'd just never heard of it causing this type of reaction before.

My friend's daughter is JUST like your oldest when it comes to red food coloring. 

And even my dh's stepmom, when talking about dd's food allergies, says she totally understands because her kids were CRAZY (meltdowns about everything) if they ate cotton candy and she said her inlaws gave it to them every time they had them because they thought she was exaggerating. So thankfully she's quite respectful of diet restrictions. MIL can't seem to understand that dd can't have dairy though, no matter how many times we tell her. So when we discovered this, my first reaction to dh was, "Great! I can barely get your mom to grasp the no dairy concept, and now I have to get her to understand no blue dye? Awesome."

Quoting Proud2BWeird:

Food coloring is evil! My parents (and sister, friends, etc.) think we're crazy because we're so adamant about excluding food coloring from our children's diets. We stand our ground, though, since we've seen the effects they have on our kids.

Our oldest is the sweetest, kindest child...until she gets red food coloring in her system. Then you'd think she's the devil's spawn!
The first time our youngest got food coloring (her sisters' dance teacher gave her a lollipop) her whole little body shook like a leaf . It was scary!

Needless to say, I wholeheartedly believe your daughter's issue this time is the food coloring. I hope she feels better soon.

Proud2BWeird
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 9:07 AM
Isn't incredibly frustrating when people who are generally good people become so disrespectful when it comes to food and children? Why is this such a polarizing issue? It's not as thou we're telling them to feed our children nothing but junk, quite he opposite, in fact.

Maybe it's due to the overindulgent nature of our society. We've come to associate food with love.

Now, I have been known to comfort myself, and my children, with food occasionally. The key is that it's not often, and our comfort foods aren't necessarily high in fat or sugar.

Believe it or not, one food that comforts me is broccoli (yes, I know I'm weird- hence the name). I love broccoli! My eldest? She loves beets- cooked, raw, pickled, whatever way you give them to her. My youngest is another story altogether, unfortunately. We're working on it :).

Anyway, good luck with your MIL and the dairy. Perhaps if you explain it to her as an allergy she'll respect it? Maybe not, but it might be worth a try.

All the MIL stories I read make me sooooo grateful for my wonderful MIL, who respects our wishes all the time. It's my family that causes the problems, but we love them anyway!

Quoting sreichelt26:

Thanks! I know tons of info about how it causes hyperactivity, I'd just never heard of it causing this type of reaction before.

My friend's daughter is JUST like your oldest when it comes to red food coloring. 

And even my dh's stepmom, when talking about dd's food allergies, says she totally understands because her kids were CRAZY (meltdowns about everything) if they ate cotton candy and she said her inlaws gave it to them every time they had them because they thought she was exaggerating. So thankfully she's quite respectful of diet restrictions. MIL can't seem to understand that dd can't have dairy though, no matter how many times we tell her. So when we discovered this, my first reaction to dh was, "Great! I can barely get your mom to grasp the no dairy concept, and now I have to get her to understand no blue dye? Awesome."

Quoting Proud2BWeird:

Mommy2justone
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I have reactions to red #40 to be exact, and my daughter is showing signs of sensitivities to all food colorings. 

coreym
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 9:16 AM
I am allergic to blue dye. It just upsets my stomach if I eat it, but if I use a blue soap, especially dawn, I get a Horrible rash. And one time I bought a purple herbal essence shampoo bc it was on sale, I got blisters All over my scalp! I don't mess with that stuff anymore.
sreichelt26
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Oh she knows it's an allergy, it just hasn't seemed to kick in yet. And the hardest part is she's wonderful! I love her to bits, it's just this one issue that we're struggling with. It basically goes that she'll ask if dd can have some of hr bread and I say sure, as long as it doesn't have butter because she can't have dairy. And then 5 min later she's asking if she can have an m&m - nope, cause she can't have dairy. 10 min later, van she have a bite of my cake (with frosting) - nope, cause she can't have dairy.

We didn't have any issues when she babysat last night, and dh is really great about it (saying he'd tell her she can't be alone with Ellie if she doesn't respect this decision), I just didn't think it'd be this difficult!

Quoting Proud2BWeird:

Isn't incredibly frustrating when people who are generally good people become so disrespectful when it comes to food and children? Why is this such a polarizing issue? It's not as thou we're telling them to feed our children nothing but junk, quite he opposite, in fact.

Maybe it's due to the overindulgent nature of our society. We've come to associate food with love.

Now, I have been known to comfort myself, and my children, with food occasionally. The key is that it's not often, and our comfort foods aren't necessarily high in fat or sugar.

Believe it or not, one food that comforts me is broccoli (yes, I know I'm weird- hence the name). I love broccoli! My eldest? She loves beets- cooked, raw, pickled, whatever way you give them to her. My youngest is another story altogether, unfortunately. We're working on it :).

Anyway, good luck with your MIL and the dairy. Perhaps if you explain it to her as an allergy she'll respect it? Maybe not, but it might be worth a try.

All the MIL stories I read make me sooooo grateful for my wonderful MIL, who respects our wishes all the time. It's my family that causes the problems, but we love them anyway!

Quoting sreichelt26:

Quoting Proud2BWeird:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)