Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Is it unfair?

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 4:22 PM
mel
  • 43 Replies
We visit my parents once a weekish and see them at church 1-2 times a week.
My mom always puts ellie down so she'll crawl. shes close, rocks back and forth and moves her arms forward but cant figure out her legs yet.
I don't want her to crawl! Where we are/will be staying theres no where to crawl and not ok for her to be on the floor. I explained to them that once she knows she can be independent she'll want to be. Or at least thats how my older 2 were.
Am I wrong, should I encourage her? Am I really harming her?
Shes also developed the pincer grasp this week but I haven't offered solids because with housing placement undetermined I thought I would/should delay a little longer until we're more stable.
Im being made to feel like a jerk :(
Shes 7.5mo what should I do
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 4:40 PM
There's nothing at all wrong with delaying solids, they don't need them the instant they are ready.

I'm a little more torn about the crawling thing. No you aren't harming her, I mean sure everything evens out eventually, but I'm not sure you should discourage her from reaching a milestone she's ready for just because it's a bad time for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I wouldn't stop her from crawling. I understand not wanting her to but why limit her growth?

As for the solids, that I agree with. Maybe not for those reasons (how would not being in a stable house effect her eating habits?) but that is a completely acceptable age to be breastfed only.

melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 10, 2012 at 4:49 PM
Because where we are staying the floors are constantly covered in dog urine/feces and theres 3 child hating chihuahuas.
The solids is cause I was concerned she would come to expect them. This is my first bls the other ones were spoon/jar fed and knew it was time to eat. Not sure how long we'll be in a shelter and how often nutritous/baby appropiate solids will be available.
Idk.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I wouldn't stop her from crawling. I understand not wanting her to but why limit her growth?

As for the solids, that I agree with. Maybe not for those reasons (how would not being in a stable house effect her eating habits?) but that is a completely acceptable age to be breastfed only.

notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 4:52 PM

What does she do all day now if she is not playing on the floor?

I am sorry you're in a bad spot with your housing situation. I really hope things get better for you. :(

Quoting melindabelcher:

Because where we are staying the floors are constantly covered in dog urine/feces and theres 3 child hating chihuahuas.
The solids is cause I was concerned she would come to expect them. This is my first bls the other ones were spoon/jar fed and knew it was time to eat. Not sure how long we'll be in a shelter and how often nutritous/baby appropiate solids will be available.
Idk.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 10, 2012 at 5:02 PM
Shes in my arms....literally. All day/night. My MIL/dh holds her so I can shower/go to br/bath the older kids.

I cant bring any excersausers/high chairs etc cause the dogs will pee on it/no room/i want to move out not in. They got to our stuff twice and peed on my jacket, kids toys, shoes, clothes, backpack, shoping bag. I just want to scream!!!!

Thanks Im hoping monday in the er will expidite things a little

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

What does she do all day now if she is not playing on the floor?

I am sorry you're in a bad spot with your housing situation. I really hope things get better for you. :(

Quoting melindabelcher:

Idk.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 10, 2012 at 7:47 PM
3 moms liked this

HUGS momma, I understand about the solids, I think its just fine to hold off.  I am hesitant to say not to let her learn to crawl...I understand WHY but at the same time its kinda unfair to her

bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 9:26 PM
I hope you find a clean living arrangement soon. I would let her crawl at church, etc. If she can crawl but for health reasons is held most of the time she will probably enjoy the freedom. Good luck to you and your family.
catholicmamamia
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 1:00 AM

I would let the crawling milestone develop naturally, but only in clean environments. Can you spend some time (perhaps a couple of times a week) at another home (family/friend), or join a Gymboree or Mommy & Me playgroup?

Solids issue is less complicated.. no rush in introducing solids at this age.  :o)

Rlambert6002
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:40 AM
I'm gonna be the odd man out and say you're fine on the crawling thing. Main reason being that crawling is technically not even a milestone....lots of babies never do it at all and are perfectly normal. Plus at 7.5 months she's on the early side for crawling anyways. Personally though I don't think you'd have many problems even if she did learn to crawl right now as far as her wanting in the floor all the time as long as she had somewhere to practice being in a crawling stance and taking a few " strides"...such as a playpen or crib.
ashuiren
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Is there a reason you don't spend more time at your parents' house? I don't think you're harming her by not letting her crawl, but if there's more room at your parents' and the situation where you're living is as toxic as it sounds, I think I'd spend as much time away from there as possible.

My older son didn't start crawling until 9 months, and my younger son is almost 9 months and is just starting to eat solids 2-3 times a day regularly. We started solids with him at 6 months, but treated it more like a treat until he really started eating enough of what we gave him to feel like he was ready for it regularly. So from my experience at least, I don't think your lo will be hurt by delaying things a bit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)