Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting
We visit my parents once a weekish and see them at church 1-2 times a week.
My mom always puts ellie down so she'll crawl. shes close, rocks back and forth and moves her arms forward but cant figure out her legs yet.
I don't want her to crawl! Where we are/will be staying theres no where to crawl and not ok for her to be on the floor. I explained to them that once she knows she can be independent she'll want to be. Or at least thats how my older 2 were.
Am I wrong, should I encourage her? Am I really harming her?
Shes also developed the pincer grasp this week but I haven't offered solids because with housing placement undetermined I thought I would/should delay a little longer until we're more stable.
Im being made to feel like a jerk :(
Shes 7.5mo what should I do
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 4:22 PM
Replies (21-30):
FelixFelicis
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Where do you live? Maybe one of us can help you?

amazzonia
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Babies should be or held or on the floor
amazzonia
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 4:05 PM
For the food when you have dinner just give her some of your food
melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 11, 2012 at 4:35 PM
I wish!
Dh and her have gone rounds about this!
Those dogs are beyond children to her. We've always been told clearly that the dogs come first, so if we don't like it don't come over. We have to watch the kids like hawks because theyve bitten kids before. If they don't want to go outside she doesn't make them, "how would you feel if you had to hold it all night or go out in the freezing cold to pee" insert eye roll
The dogs always have/will come before anyone.

Quoting LittleBirdFly:

and she thinks its ok to live in dog poop and pee? cant your husband talk to her?

Quoting melindabelcher:

We live with my mil. They are her dogs

Quoting LittleBirdFly:

so you living with with who now? Because you said :my mother choses to let us move out"

whos dogs are thoese? If the poop and pee on the floor I would kick the dogs out! The health of you and especially of the baby has priority!

Quoting melindabelcher:

Believe me if we didn't have to we wouldn't.

My father is a crack addict and my mother chose to let us move out rather then ask him to stay elsewhere.

We are trying to find a cheaper vehicle so we can get into a family shelter. Our current vehicle is valued 9000-ish but we owe 13000ish. We can't have any assets valued greater then 5000.

My mother in law is the lesser of the evils available at this time :(

I'm hoping to surrender our car today and tommorow in the er there will be a social worker available to help us.

I know your not bashing :) I would think the same thing and would have never imagined we would ever be in this situation.

Quoting snowangel1979:

I'm not bashing or anything but WHY?

Why would you stay somewhere covered in dog feces and pee? Just breathing that can't be good for your health. Could you maybe stay at your parents house instead.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Because where we are staying the floors are constantly covered in dog urine/feces and theres 3 child hating chihuahuas.

The solids is cause I was concerned she would come to expect them. This is my first bls the other ones were spoon/jar fed and knew it was time to eat. Not sure how long we'll be in a shelter and how often nutritous/baby appropiate solids will be available.

Idk.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I wouldn't stop her from crawling. I understand not wanting her to but why limit her growth?

As for the solids, that I agree with. Maybe not for those reasons (how would not being in a stable house effect her eating habits?) but that is a completely acceptable age to be breastfed only.

hapababies
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 5:27 PM
I hope your living arrangement changes for the better soon. I'm so sorry that you are going through so much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 11, 2012 at 6:10 PM
Thanks so much!
Im in mass but we have a dr appointment for my oldest child tommorow and then the ER so I'm hopeful the social worker there will be able to help us get into a family shelter.

Quoting FelixFelicis:

melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 11, 2012 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Thankyou I appreciate that :)

Quoting hapababies:

I hope your living arrangement changes for the better soon. I'm so sorry that you are going through so much.

justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Hugs, hun.
LittleBirdFly
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 6:54 PM

sorry to say but theres something wrong with this woman! Have you tryied apllieying for Hosuing or go to a shelter? I think anything is better that living like that. Maybe they be able to help you? No friends or other family that can help you out?

Quoting melindabelcher:

I wish!
Dh and her have gone rounds about this!
Those dogs are beyond children to her. We've always been told clearly that the dogs come first, so if we don't like it don't come over. We have to watch the kids like hawks because theyve bitten kids before. If they don't want to go outside she doesn't make them, "how would you feel if you had to hold it all night or go out in the freezing cold to pee" insert eye roll
The dogs always have/will come before anyone.

Quoting LittleBirdFly:

and she thinks its ok to live in dog poop and pee? cant your husband talk to her?

Quoting melindabelcher:

We live with my mil. They are her dogs

Quoting LittleBirdFly:

so you living with with who now? Because you said :my mother choses to let us move out"

whos dogs are thoese? If the poop and pee on the floor I would kick the dogs out! The health of you and especially of the baby has priority!

Quoting melindabelcher:

Believe me if we didn't have to we wouldn't.

My father is a crack addict and my mother chose to let us move out rather then ask him to stay elsewhere.

We are trying to find a cheaper vehicle so we can get into a family shelter. Our current vehicle is valued 9000-ish but we owe 13000ish. We can't have any assets valued greater then 5000.

My mother in law is the lesser of the evils available at this time :(

I'm hoping to surrender our car today and tommorow in the er there will be a social worker available to help us.

I know your not bashing :) I would think the same thing and would have never imagined we would ever be in this situation.

Quoting snowangel1979:

I'm not bashing or anything but WHY?

Why would you stay somewhere covered in dog feces and pee? Just breathing that can't be good for your health. Could you maybe stay at your parents house instead.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Because where we are staying the floors are constantly covered in dog urine/feces and theres 3 child hating chihuahuas.

The solids is cause I was concerned she would come to expect them. This is my first bls the other ones were spoon/jar fed and knew it was time to eat. Not sure how long we'll be in a shelter and how often nutritous/baby appropiate solids will be available.

Idk.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I wouldn't stop her from crawling. I understand not wanting her to but why limit her growth?

As for the solids, that I agree with. Maybe not for those reasons (how would not being in a stable house effect her eating habits?) but that is a completely acceptable age to be breastfed only.

LittleBirdFly
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Why dont you just go to a shelter? What do you need to o to the ER for?

Quoting melindabelcher:

Thanks so much!
Im in mass but we have a dr appointment for my oldest child tommorow and then the ER so I'm hopeful the social worker there will be able to help us get into a family shelter.

Quoting FelixFelicis:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)