Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Bradley vs Hypnobabies?

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:16 AM
  • 20 Replies

Does anyone have opinions on these? Particularly anyone who has experience or at least is very familiar with both?

With my daughter, I wanted a natural birth but didn't think I would need any sort of special technique. I read a lot of birth stories, watched a lot of natural birth videos, and thought I could do it. I was in labor for 2 1/2 days, most of which was very painful back labor which made each contraction run into each other so I never got a chance to just breathe and take each contraction as they came.  I ended up too exhausted physically and mentally to continue and requested an epidural. Although I know at the time it was the right thing for me to do, I still have that little nagging regret that I didn't get the natural water birth I wanted. So with the next baby I am planning on a home birth, and I want to make sure I do everything I can to make that happen.

Since I already had a painful experience with labor, I'm a little concerned that hypnosis might not work very well, like my subconscious already "knows" that it will hurt and that will get in the way. Do you think that would affect the effectiveness of hypnobabies? Or are there other methods that are less popular that I could also look into?

I am not even pregnant yet so I'm just trying to gather information early :)

by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sarah4gandh
by Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I did Bradley and I loved it so much that I became an instructor. The Bradley MEthod is sort of like a non method in my opinion because it educates you on what is normal and how to cope with labor in normal ways. (i.e. no special breathing patterns, no special techniques other than relaxing). I loved it bc its so educational on how your body works, how your baby is working thorugh labor and how it takes a supprotive person ( in my case husband) to help you! I have no experience with hypnobirthing but Ive heard great things! Good luck with your decision. If you have a supportive husband or partner, Bradley could def work for you!

corbysmom531
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:51 PM

As an instructor, how would you recommend a woman becomes familiar with it enough for it to be successful during labor without taking the class?  I'm 17 weeks now, and I planned on taking a Bradley class, but we can't afford it.  I read the book, but a month later I have almost forgotten most of it.

Quoting sarah4gandh:

I did Bradley and I loved it so much that I became an instructor. The Bradley MEthod is sort of like a non method in my opinion because it educates you on what is normal and how to cope with labor in normal ways. (i.e. no special breathing patterns, no special techniques other than relaxing). I loved it bc its so educational on how your body works, how your baby is working thorugh labor and how it takes a supprotive person ( in my case husband) to help you! I have no experience with hypnobirthing but Ive heard great things! Good luck with your decision. If you have a supportive husband or partner, Bradley could def work for you!

sarah4gandh
by Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I would reccomend you get Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way by Susan McCutheon and Husband-Coached Childbirth by Robert Bradley. If you can get your local Bradley instructor to order you a workbook, you could just use the workbook and have a weekly 2 hour date with your hubby to do the workbook together? Just an idea. You wont get the full effect without taking the class, but I totally understand why youre not going to take the class, it is expensive. You could consider making payments to your local instructor (I am always willing to ork with student couples with payments, and I bet your local instructor would be too). Just a thought. :)

Quoting corbysmom531:

As an instructor, how would you recommend a woman becomes familiar with it enough for it to be successful during labor without taking the class?  I'm 17 weeks now, and I planned on taking a Bradley class, but we can't afford it.  I read the book, but a month later I have almost forgotten most of it.

Quoting sarah4gandh:

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

adamsmama
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I'm not sure either would work after 2 1/2 days of active labor! You poor thing. Were you in the hospital with the last delivery? Being at home with a doula will definitely help you to cope with the pain. Personally, I'm not into using a program for labor pain. I would probably have punched anyone who told me to breathe or lie down a certain way during labor lol. Your labor is likely to be quicker this time and if you have the proper support, I think you will find that you can have the birth you wanted.

rachelrothchild
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I would recommend Bradley over hypnobabies, but you can do whatever feels right for you during labor too.

Mrs.Salz
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Both are good. Hypnobabies helps retrain your brain.

Other alternative that has worked for me is just my own eclectic method - reading Bradley book, Birthing From Within, Childbirth Without Fear, and other good birth books.

I'd also recomend a doula!

catholicmamamia
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Both are good.. :o) 

catholicmamamia
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Personally.. I am a big fan of the Bradley Method!!!! 

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Nov. 13, 2012 at 7:58 PM
Im a fan of the bradley method.
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:16 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN