Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

P R O G E S T E R O N E and morning sickness?

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:45 AM
  • 17 Replies

http://purelyliving.blogspot.com/2011/07/morning-sickness-and-hormones.html?m=1

Okay. I found that info on morning sickness. Any thoughts?

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EthansMomma2010
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:39 PM

i'm not sure. but my friend has low progesterone and didn't get much morning sickness until she started progesterone supplement!! then she had to take zofran like crazy to keep from puking 24/7! finally into her 17th week or so she stopped puking all the time and has been able to ease off the zofran. my understanding was that progesterone levels rising were what actually caused morning sickness!

FebPenguins
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I use a progesterone cream when not bf, or later in pregnancy. I seem to have a low pro,

and high estrogen. I had difficulty concieving my son (now 12 wks) and after 1 month using

I got pregnant. This is my experience and I know there is a lot of controversey so remember

I am NOT a physician.

Mrs.Salz
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Interesting. I have had bad morning sickness for both of my pregnancies (not hyperemesis, but I feel extremely sick for about 6 weeks) but then I feel great and have smooth sailing after that.

I've read in several places that poor liver function can contribute to morning sickness.

Mrs.Salz
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I'm not sure what to think about this part  since the placenta isn't developed until at least 9 weeks and doesn't take over completely until after that.
Dr. Dalton calls morning sickness “a sign that the ovarian progesterone is insufficient and the placenta is not yet secreting enough progesterone.”

lifeforchrist
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:53 PM

liver function would make sence with the progesterone theory since a you can't process hormones without a clean liver and most of americans have a horrible liver thats horribly gummed up with the junk they eat. Liver cleanse can make a huge difference

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Interesting. I have had bad morning sickness for both of my pregnancies (not hyperemesis, but I feel extremely sick for about 6 weeks) but then I feel great and have smooth sailing after that.

I've read in several places that poor liver function can contribute to morning sickness.

lifeforchrist
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:58 PM

The placenta begins to develop upon implantation of the blastocyst into the maternal endometrium. The outer layer of the blastocyst becomes the trophoblast, which forms the outer layer of the placenta. This outer layer is divided into two further layers: the underlying cytotrophoblast layer and the overlying syncytiotrophoblast layer. The syncytiotrophoblast is a multinucleated continuous cell layer that covers the surface of the placenta. It forms as a result of differentiation and fusion of the underlying cytotrophoblast cells, a process that continues throughout placental development. The syncytiotrophoblast (otherwise known as syncytium), thereby contributes to the barrier function of the placenta.

The placenta grows throughout pregnancy. Development of the maternal blood supply to the placenta is complete by the end of the first trimester of pregnancy (approximately 12–13 weeks).

thats wikipedia. You start creating/upping progesterone as soon as implantation happens, this prevents your body from shedding the uterine lining and you having your menstural cycle. Without progesterone you will shed the lining and have a miscarriage. So i don't believe the placenta has to be completely developed for it to start the process.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

I'm not sure what to think about this part  since the placenta isn't developed until at least 9 weeks and doesn't take over completely until after that.
Dr. Dalton calls morning sickness “a sign that the ovarian progesterone is insufficient and the placenta is not yet secreting enough progesterone.”

lifeforchrist
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:59 PM

interesting. That sucks for her :(

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

i'm not sure. but my friend has low progesterone and didn't get much morning sickness until she started progesterone supplement!! then she had to take zofran like crazy to keep from puking 24/7! finally into her 17th week or so she stopped puking all the time and has been able to ease off the zofran. my understanding was that progesterone levels rising were what actually caused morning sickness!

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I was told more progesterone would make my morning symptoms worse.  But if I was sick all the time with morning sickness I would be willing to try anything to make myself feel better, even more progesterone.

lifeforchrist
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I was too. I was wondering if anyone has tried this. 

Quoting Sarah725:

I was told more progesterone would make my morning symptoms worse.  But if I was sick all the time with morning sickness I would be willing to try anything to make myself feel better, even more progesterone.

lifeforchrist
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Really? Good to hear someones own experience 

Quoting FebPenguins:

I use a progesterone cream when not bf, or later in pregnancy. I seem to have a low pro,

and high estrogen. I had difficulty concieving my son (now 12 wks) and after 1 month using

I got pregnant. This is my experience and I know there is a lot of controversey so remember

I am NOT a physician.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)