Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My kids have way too many toys and I'm planning on selling some before Christmas. I started asking for different things rather than toys or clothes (unless we need them). My aunt and uncle now get our whole family a zoo pass instead of toys. My FIL gets us a museum pass. We use both almost weekly so it's a great gift!

Do you ask for any alternative gifts to toys from family? Or do you have any ideas?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:17 PM
Replies (11-18):
Brandy85412
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:24 PM
I might suggest this to my family. I don't know though they usually don't spend a lot of money. I like the idea though! I just recently bagged up all the kids toys. They had way too many and we're acting like spoiled brats.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:14 PM
Cloth diapers! I'm a sucker for those cute prints and it's fun getting fluff in the mail. My kids have every material possession, plus more, and it's overwhelming. I'm grateful to have so many friends and family to love my boys, but this is not what life is made of.
For my oldest son, I have asked for savings bonds or money to put in his savings account. When he turns 18 and I hand him his money, he will be grateful for the money instead of a bunch of toy trucks, lol.
Btw, I started a savings account for my youngest also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:21 PM

That is a great idea.  Friends of mine were over for dinner tonight and I know there MIL gets the kids a zoo pass every year.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I should have a rummage sale in the spring and with all the money I get with the toys that don't get used we could buy a zoo pass :)

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I would  be given a zoo pass for xmas, but I know that no one would go for it

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I know my in laws would not be up for this as they want to see the kids play with the toys they get them right that minute

FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Activity Books are the big gift in our house. We have to go through them at least once a month and get rid of the old ones. My ds will sit quietly for 30mins and just color or do the wipe off ones. That quiet is sooo awesome.......

catholicmamamia
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Books, games, puzzles, arts/crafts supplies, musical instruments. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)