Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Please, I need to know if this is normal

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:37 PM
  • 12 Replies

My son is 18mths now and I'm starting to get a little... concerned? My daughter only breastfed for 7 months so this is the longest I have ever breastfed and I really need to know if this is normal or if there is something else going on.

He nurses constantly, almost like a newborn. He doesn't take milk every time but I am finding that, more often than not, he refuses solids and chooses to breastfeed instead. He isn't uhealthy, that I can tell. He has plenty of wet diapers and decent poops, albiet a little runny. Is this normal? We did the baby led weaning thing at around 6 months, found that his tummy was having too much trouble with it, and held it off until he was around 10 months. He did eat solids well, just recently... He used to have a packet of oatmeal in the morning but now, even though I know he likes the flavour, he refuses to even take a bite. Should I be worried?

Edit: I did mean to add that he weighs 32.6lbs

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jconney80
by Group Mod on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:46 PM
My son went through the same thing at that age where he wanted to nurse all the time. He didn't quit eating solids though. Is he getting his two year molars in early? That could cause that behavior!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I think most go through that phase.

larissalarie
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:11 AM
2 moms liked this
This is completely normal (in a world where babies are allowed to nurse on demand as long as they desire) and healthy!!
My youngest baby will be 2 in February and the last few days he's been completely disinterested in solids and nursing a ton. Considering he was 34 pounds at his 18 month check-up, he's got great skin/nails/hair, and developmentally on track...nobody ever worries that he's not ok :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Normal.. nothing to worry about, just *go with the flow* LOL! 

sreichelt26
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:51 AM
Normal. And I definitely wouldn't worry at 32 lbs! Mine's the same age, is chunkier than every other kid in her Gymboree class, and is only 26lbs.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:26 AM
Normal :)
Don't get worried about solids, he can sense it and it only makes it more stressful.and less appealing
peaches_04
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:27 AM
My 2 year old does that
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:12 AM

That's very normal, he will grow out of it when he's ready.

Oostera
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Lol, we do make them big. I'm 6ft and DH is 6'4", lol. Both kids ARE in the top 100% for height and weight. I just worry because... well... I guess I just thought it was more normal to eat solids rather than BF at this age. My mother didn't BF my siblings for long, if at all, and I'm already starting to get the, "you are going to keep BF at 2??" questions.

Quoting sreichelt26:

Normal. And I definitely wouldn't worry at 32 lbs! Mine's the same age, is chunkier than every other kid in her Gymboree class, and is only 26lbs.

Brandy85412
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:43 AM
I'd say as long as he's not losing weight its fine and your ok with him doing this. I had a friend who's child was like that. Her doctor said that it's fine some kids just don't want to eat much yet. I remember when I first met my friend her dd was 18 months and my dd was 4 months and her dd would nurse more than mine in a few hour period.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN