Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Happy Birthday Seth :)

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:02 AM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

My little brother Seth was born 18 years ago! finally an adult now! He was born with Downs Syndrome. My mom and stepdad had no idea he had Down Syndrome until he was born. He was born by c-sec and breastfeed immediatelt after. The doctor noticed the physical features that were characteristics to a child with downs syndrome, all we saw was a cute baby boy! After waiting for maybe a week or so, it was confirmed. My mom did research, and talked to mom and learned all she could about our baby brother.  she later found out that breastfeeding a child with Downs could be very difficult because of his low muscle tone. She ended up breastfeeding for atleast 3 years (maybe 4), which was good because he needed all the immune and nutitional support she could offer! He would get croup consistantly, offen leading us to midnight hospital visits. He had several surgeries (teye and heart), but even still he was a health and happy little baby :) He learned learned to sign and talk before he learned to even walk, and one he started to walk his talking slowly diminished. At around the age of 3 or so we noticed that something else was going on with him, and so he was finally diagnosed with autism. Little by little his communication started diminishing, and he was more and more in his own world. Today, he still prefers his own quiet spots. He LOVES music, and he loves his dog and swinging as well. Ever once in a while he will come up to us and rub our hand (I use to put him to sleep by rubbing his hand) or will say a word.  He loves to grab our hands and take us to the freeze (because you know whats in the freezer....ice cream!)  Anyways, here is a pictures of Seth:

(this one was from severl years ago, but is a better picture......he isn't fond of posing for the camera! hahah)

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:08 AM
Happy birthday!
Thank you for sharring his story, your mom (and the rest of the fam) is incredible!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Quoting jellyphish:

Happy birthday!
Thank you for sharring his story, your mom (and the rest of the fam) is incredible!

you're welcome :)  I think they are awesome too! :) Seth really has changed our life to the better! I don't know what I'd do without him!

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
illegallyblonde
by Stephany on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Happy birthday to your little brother:-)))
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Happy birthday!
Hes so handsome!
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Sounds like you have great parents and a great little brother. Happy Birthday Seth!!

larissalarie
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:01 PM
What a sweet looking man! I'm sorry he's had a rough path, but it sounds like he's perfect for your family.
What an amazing mother you've got!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chiarore
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Happy birthday to him! :D
justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:16 PM

He is a very handsome young man. :) Happy Birthday, Seth!

catholicmamamia
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:05 AM

happy birthday 

soulofsunmama
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:10 AM
:-)

Quoting larissalarie:

What a sweet looking man! I'm sorry he's had a rough path, but it sounds like he's perfect for your family.

What an amazing mother you've got!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN