Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Gardasil

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:35 PM
  • 31 Replies

My 10 year old had his physical on Monday and his ped tried to talk me into giving him Gardasil, I told her none of my boys would ever get that...course neither will my daughter if I ever get one.  I told her that I will teach them safe sex, its for an STD and I worry more about other STDs for my boys than HPV honestly.  She said well HPV can cause penile cancer so it can hurt your boys...SIGH

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this
WHAT?! I knew they started giving it to boys (grumble, scowl), but at TEN?! I thought they didn't give that out until 13!! Not that that's my biggest gripe with this... Ugh. Disdain.
You're nice though. I will probably end up saying something like "I don't want her to get any stds, so I'm not going to let you give her an std."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EslingerCrew11
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Girls can get it as young as 9 :/

OP, I got it as an adult and still got hpv (I realize that it doesn't protect against nearly all the types) and have had issues with abnormal cells since. My girls won't get it.

Quoting jellyphish:

WHAT?! I knew they started giving it to boys (grumble, scowl), but at TEN?! I thought they didn't give that out until 13!! Not that that's my biggest gripe with this... Ugh. Disdain.

You're nice though. I will probably end up saying something like "I don't want her to get any stds, so I'm not going to let you give her an std."

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this
One of the side effects is genital warts. I don't know if theyve come out and admitted that the vaccine CAUSES hpv, but the amount of girls that get warts from this shot is just disturbing.

Quoting EslingerCrew11:

Girls can get it as young as 9 :/

OP, I got it as an adult and still got hpv (I realize that it doesn't protect against nearly all the types) and have had issues with abnormal cells since. My girls won't get it.

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah I fully vax my kids...until it was time to get that one for my daughter. No thanks.
Even if you don't practice safe sex (or you think you do but get exposed by a cheating partner), cervical cancer literally takes decades to develop. If you get a pap every few years you'd catch it while it's still just abnormal cells, which they can treat with cryotherapy (I think that's the name). There's just zero reason to risk that one, IMO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:55 PM
Also I thought the reason behind giving it to boys was to stop them from getting it and spreading it to girls, I've always heard that hpv is mainly harmless and "silent" in boys.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SadieJames
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Quoting larissalarie:

Also I thought the reason behind giving it to boys was to stop them from getting it and spreading it to girls, I've always heard that hpv is mainly harmless and "silent" in boys.

Honestly, a lot of HPV is harmless in girls too. The type that causes cancer causes it in some people and not in others... It's not like even 50 percent of people who get X type get cervical cancer...  There's a lot of unknown with it.  I think the people who marketed Gardasil were extremely smart - but it's not the cure all it appears to be...

hapababies
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:59 PM
I tried getting that shot for myself when I was 30, but insurance wouldn't pay for it since I had aged out. Apparently 9 year old girls are having more promiscuous sex than 30 year old women in the insurance people's eyes.
Side note: I wasn't having promiscuous sex, I just wasn't married yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Ohhh yeah, I know that like 90% or so of the time it's harmless and your body fights it off without you even knowing it was there. I've just never heard it connected to penile cancer before even when I read the articles recommending it for boys.

And yes, they were genius tapping into people's fear of the big C.

Quoting SadieJames:

Quoting larissalarie:

Honestly, a lot of HPV is harmless in girls too. The type that causes cancer causes it in some people and not in others... It's not like even 50 percent of people who get X type get cervical cancer...  There's a lot of unknown with it.  I think the people who marketed Gardasil were extremely smart - but it's not the cure all it appears to be...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this
LOL!!!
And here I was married and having it pushed on me because I was like 26 or something.

Quoting hapababies:

I tried getting that shot for myself when I was 30, but insurance wouldn't pay for it since I had aged out. Apparently 9 year old girls are having more promiscuous sex than 30 year old women in the insurance people's eyes.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EslingerCrew11
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:10 PM
From my understanding, its best to get BEFORE you have sex

Quoting hapababies:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)