Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

My 10 year old had his physical on Monday and his ped tried to talk me into giving him Gardasil, I told her none of my boys would ever get that...course neither will my daughter if I ever get one.  I told her that I will teach them safe sex, its for an STD and I worry more about other STDs for my boys than HPV honestly.  She said well HPV can cause penile cancer so it can hurt your boys...SIGH

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:35 PM
Replies (21-30):
peaches_04
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:28 AM
I think they started losing a lot of money when people realized how wrong that shot is so they started marketing to boys as well to sell more;(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Interesting. My OB at the time told me the information in my original reply. I will admit to taking the information at face value though. My DD was barely 3 and I was already to old so I never looked into it further. Since everything has come out (more or less) about how dangerous the shot is, I'd already decided against it and I guess I never went back to double check the informationid originally received.

Quoting hapababies:

That is how it was explained to me. The FDA had approved its use for ages 9-20 something, therefore insurance wouldn't pay for it above that age. The nurse practitioner had said as they do more research, they might raise the age limits.

Back then I thought that was just red tape crap to keep me from getting proper health care.

It does make sense in a way that you should get the vaccine before your exposed to the virus. But then again, there are so many forms of the hpv virus.

Quoting jellyphish:

Actually I think it's just a matter of the age group it's been studied on and approved for, which is why they push it on married women in their 20s.

Quoting JMmama:

In order for the shot to be effective, you have to get it before being exposéd to HPV. That is why you can get it at 9. Because they figure girls that age aren't sexually active.

Quoting hapababies:

I tried getting that shot for myself when I was 30, but insurance wouldn't pay for it since I had aged out. Apparently 9 year old girls are having more promiscuous sex than 30 year old women in the insurance people's eyes.

Side note: I wasn't having promiscuous sex, I just wasn't married yet.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:17 AM

No I never want my daughter or boys to have that.  I can't believe they are pushing it so young.  Didn't they start out giving it to only girls and around the age of 16.  Crazy how things change so fast.

LittleBirdFly
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:22 AM

non of my kids is ever gonna get that.

lifeforchrist
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:37 AM

at the age they give gardasil they have a 0% ZEROOO  percent risk of getting it. And then they need another one in like 4 years or so.

Quoting EslingerCrew11:

Girls can get it as young as 9 :/

OP, I got it as an adult and still got hpv (I realize that it doesn't protect against nearly all the types) and have had issues with abnormal cells since. My girls won't get it.

Quoting jellyphish:

WHAT?! I knew they started giving it to boys (grumble, scowl), but at TEN?! I thought they didn't give that out until 13!! Not that that's my biggest gripe with this... Ugh. Disdain.

You're nice though. I will probably end up saying something like "I don't want her to get any stds, so I'm not going to let you give her an std."

JWu
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:47 AM

The purpose of getting it so young is because it is most effective prior to any HPV occurrence. Hence innoculate individuals before they become sexually active. Since kids are becoming active at earlier ages that prompted providers to target younger patients....not because they thought the child was active but because they thought they were not yet active. It targets the four main strains (2 that cause cervical cancer and 2 that cause warts). Research has shown that it is less effective if the person being vaccinated carried any of the other HPV strains prior to innoculation. It does not protect against any of the hundreds of other strains. HPV can make cervical changes quickly for certain females and you will not know who until it happens. The purpose of innoculating the boys as well as the girls is to provide a sort of herd immunity. HPV infection can occur without any knowledge as unless it is a strain that causes warts there are no symptoms for the boy or girl until precancerous or cancerous cells occcur. I did get this for my teenager back in the early recommendation. I did so because even though I myself had annual pap smears since the age of 18, my cervical changes were not being properly detected until the thin prep pap was widely used. Then at that point I was in the stage prior to cerical cancer at the age of 23. I was not promiscuous but my ex fiance had been which had led to our break up. I was faced with the  possibility of not being able to have more children because several layers of my cervix had to be revoved. Things turned out fine for me but only because I was vigilant in annual pap smears. Newer recommendations do not include annual exams so unless girls today remain vigilant and their partners are honest as the day is long there can be a lot of unfortunate circumstances. Just my humble opinion based upon an actual situation.

Quoting EslingerCrew11:

From my understanding, its best to get BEFORE you have sex

Quoting hapababies:

I tried getting that shot for myself when I was 30, but insurance wouldn't pay for it since I had aged out. Apparently 9 year old girls are having more promiscuous sex than 30 year old women in the insurance people's eyes.

Side note: I wasn't having promiscuous sex, I just wasn't married yet.

maddiesmommy5
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:18 PM

lets just put who knows what into our kids bodies that way we as parents don't have to teach them about safe sex. smh. My mother just gave it to my little sisters :(

catholicmamamia
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Absolutely crazy. 

Quoting Sarah725: No I never want my daughter or boys to have that.  I can't believe they are pushing it so young.  Didn't they start out giving it to only girls and around the age of 16.  Crazy how things change so fast.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:22 PM

HPV can cause penile cancer and warts in boys.  My sister had cervical caner caused by HPV but the strain she has was not covered by gardasil.  I have HPV too...found this out last pap smear, lord only knows how long I have had it becuase they never tested before.  Its the kind that causes cancer too but I dont have cancer.  My boys were all born vaginally so the likelihood that they have HPV is kinda high anyways lol...

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:47 PM
I just heard Five Hour Energy is under investigation for 13 deaths. THIRTEEN!! When will gardasil come under investigation for its hundreds of deaths per year?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN