Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

BUMP FOR UPDATE PG 3 breast milk is considered a clear liquid right? ot but please help me!

Posted by   + Show Post

a good friend of mine is in the hospital.  she is only 32 years old.  she has almost died twice in the past weeks due to complications of her MS.  she has a major bowel obstruction that was being caused by a 6 pound ovarian cyst that was pressing on her small intestine.  she has already had three bowel resections this year and no longer has any large intestine left and is down to 40% of her small intestine.  then after surgery she once again had an adhesion and her intestine perforated again which has caused a major infection.  they have left the wound open in her abdomen in order to let it drain and because of her prior surgeries put a colostomy bag in as well.  she has a 2 foot long incision that is totally open at the moment.

just this morning she was given clear liquids after hearing gas passing through her digestive track.  this is a big step!  i have been told numerous times that breastmilk IS considered a clear liquid on the breastfeeding moms sight (usually pertaining to nursing before and after a child's surgery) and just wanted to double check.  i feel like she would really benefit from breastmilk (both nutritionally and as a laxative) and i even have a bag of transitional colostrum milk in my freezer which i feel would be awesome for her.

so please help me.  have you ever heard of this?  sources that i can print out and give the family?  i know its sort of a strange request and a little ot but if you can help me i would greatly appreciate it!

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:21 AM
Replies (11-20):
catholicmamamia
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Quoting larissalarie: If anyone could benefit from something lightweight, nutritionally complete, and very rapidly digested I would think she's at the top of the list!

jconney80
by Group Mod on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:32 PM
Gracie just had surgery and they told us breastmilk was considered a clear liquid. She was allowed to have it up to 3 hours before surgery and immediately after.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:49 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't call it a clear liquid but still think it would be safe and beneficial
Liebevoll_mami
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:19 AM

i would go for it! it'd be so good for her

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I would think that breastmilk would be safe, it wont cause any obstructions and it doesnt cause infection.  Its also antibacterial which could help alot.  I would think it would be benefical for her to drink BM

catholicmamamia
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:51 PM

My local hospitals all consider it a clear liquid. 

Quoting jconney80: Gracie just had surgery and they told us breastmilk was considered a clear liquid.

doulala
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:07 AM

It was considered a clear liquid by one anesthesiologist for one of my children but not with another anesthesiologist for another child, years later....

kailu1835
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't believe that it's considered clear, because you cannot see through it.  Clear liquids are things like juice, broth, and other things of that caliber.  However, I'd say that breastmilk would be benefitial for bowel problems.  If she isn't allowed anything but clear liquids, your early breastmilk would be great, because it is so packed with fat and other essential nutrients.

peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:55 AM
It depends on the juice apple juice yes orange no

Quoting kailu1835:

I don't believe that it's considered clear, because you cannot see through it.  Clear liquids are things like juice, broth, and other things of that caliber.  However, I'd say that breastmilk would be benefitial for bowel problems.  If she isn't allowed anything but clear liquids, your early breastmilk would be great, because it is so packed with fat and other essential nutrients.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:09 AM
I have heard it's a clear liquid but have never had personal experience. Who knows how a nurse or doctor would take it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)