Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

BUMP FOR UPDATE PG 3 breast milk is considered a clear liquid right? ot but please help me!

Posted by   + Show Post

a good friend of mine is in the hospital.  she is only 32 years old.  she has almost died twice in the past weeks due to complications of her MS.  she has a major bowel obstruction that was being caused by a 6 pound ovarian cyst that was pressing on her small intestine.  she has already had three bowel resections this year and no longer has any large intestine left and is down to 40% of her small intestine.  then after surgery she once again had an adhesion and her intestine perforated again which has caused a major infection.  they have left the wound open in her abdomen in order to let it drain and because of her prior surgeries put a colostomy bag in as well.  she has a 2 foot long incision that is totally open at the moment.

just this morning she was given clear liquids after hearing gas passing through her digestive track.  this is a big step!  i have been told numerous times that breastmilk IS considered a clear liquid on the breastfeeding moms sight (usually pertaining to nursing before and after a child's surgery) and just wanted to double check.  i feel like she would really benefit from breastmilk (both nutritionally and as a laxative) and i even have a bag of transitional colostrum milk in my freezer which i feel would be awesome for her.

so please help me.  have you ever heard of this?  sources that i can print out and give the family?  i know its sort of a strange request and a little ot but if you can help me i would greatly appreciate it!

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:21 AM
Replies (21-29):
tansyflower
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:30 AM

update:  she is now off of all liquids again per dr order. her platelet counts are extremely high and they are prepping her for what will be her third surgery.  if her count doesnt go down within the next 8 hours she will be be put under again. she is so weak at this point that they are extremely concerned about her body being able to handle yet another invasive surgery.

i guess the only saving grace is she doesnt have to have any of the sutures cut out and approximate the incision since she was left open last time.  please sends prayers to gwen and her family :'(

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:48 AM

OH NO keep us updated

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Have you offered your breastmilk and the research that goes with it?

I've heard that breast milk sometimes benefits people who have Multiple Sclerosis.  My father has MS, but I just can't bring myself to offer him any of my frozen stash, as his symptoms are stabilized through weekly injections of Avonex...

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Oh no! Sending good thoughts.

Quoting tansyflower:

update:  she is now off of all liquids again per dr order. her platelet counts are extremely high and they are prepping her for what will be her third surgery.  if her count doesnt go down within the next 8 hours she will be be put under again. she is so weak at this point that they are extremely concerned about her body being able to handle yet another invasive surgery.

i guess the only saving grace is she doesnt have to have any of the sutures cut out and approximate the incision since she was left open last time.  please sends prayers to gwen and her family :'(

melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:25 PM
Oh no! Keep us posted :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:54 PM

she just overdosed on a combination of morphine and some other drug that they were giving her and has been unconscious ever since.....its touch and go at this point :(

Quoting melindabelcher:

melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:02 PM
She overdosed in the hospital?

Quoting tansyflower:

she just overdosed on a combination of morphine and some other drug that they were giving her and has been unconscious ever since.....its touch and go at this point :(

Quoting melindabelcher:

tansyflower
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:06 PM

yes.  her lungs started to not work because of an absess and they put tubes in them to drain it.  i guess the meds they were giving her were not metabolizing and once they drained the lung absess they all pooled together and metabolized at once and she had an overdose.  i wont even try to pretend that i understand this.  just another complication in a long list of things that have gone wrong so far.

she has been through so much.  every single thing that has happened has been so bad.  she is on a ventilator right now because she cant breath on her own :'(

Quoting melindabelcher:

Quoting tansyflower:

Quoting melindabelcher:

melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:07 PM
So sorry mama :(

Quoting tansyflower:

yes.  her lungs started to not work because of an absess and they put tubes in them to drain it.  i guess the meds they were giving her were not metabolizing and once they drained the lung absess they all pooled together and metabolized at once and she had an overdose.  i wont even try to pretend that i understand this.  just another complication in a long list of things that have gone wrong so far.

she has been through so much.  every single thing that has happened has been so bad.  she is on a ventilator right now because she cant breath on her own :'(

Quoting melindabelcher:

Quoting tansyflower:

Quoting melindabelcher:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)