Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

BUMP FOR UPDATE PG 3 breast milk is considered a clear liquid right? ot but please help me!

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:21 AM
  • 29 Replies

a good friend of mine is in the hospital.  she is only 32 years old.  she has almost died twice in the past weeks due to complications of her MS.  she has a major bowel obstruction that was being caused by a 6 pound ovarian cyst that was pressing on her small intestine.  she has already had three bowel resections this year and no longer has any large intestine left and is down to 40% of her small intestine.  then after surgery she once again had an adhesion and her intestine perforated again which has caused a major infection.  they have left the wound open in her abdomen in order to let it drain and because of her prior surgeries put a colostomy bag in as well.  she has a 2 foot long incision that is totally open at the moment.

just this morning she was given clear liquids after hearing gas passing through her digestive track.  this is a big step!  i have been told numerous times that breastmilk IS considered a clear liquid on the breastfeeding moms sight (usually pertaining to nursing before and after a child's surgery) and just wanted to double check.  i feel like she would really benefit from breastmilk (both nutritionally and as a laxative) and i even have a bag of transitional colostrum milk in my freezer which i feel would be awesome for her.

so please help me.  have you ever heard of this?  sources that i can print out and give the family?  i know its sort of a strange request and a little ot but if you can help me i would greatly appreciate it!

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tansyflower
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:38 AM

essentially when i am reading kellymom they are saying roughly 30% of drs think it is a clear liquid.  30% of drs think it isnt a clear liquid.  and 30% of drs dont know what to think.

sigh.  i know they give breastmilk to cancer patients (who are also VERY high risk for bowel obstructions).....there just isnt a lot of info out there on giving it to adults in general.

larissalarie
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:00 AM
I've heard it is also. I would guess the 60% of doctors who disagree/don't know are the same ones who think breastmilk is equivalent to formula which is most definitely NOT a clear liquid.

Your poor friend! If anyone could benefit from something lightweight, nutritionally complete, and very rapidly digested I would think she's at the top of the list!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I never heard bm was a clear liquid but i never heard it wasn't also.  But I do thing she would really benifit from bm that's an awesome idea to get her some.

tansyflower
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

i agree.  it was hit or miss if she was even going to pull through the surgery  and she hasnt eaten in over 3 weeks at this point.  she is so weak :(

i have a whole bag of transitional colustrum milk that was tested and stored ina  icu/nicu....it has even been spun and has a 20% higher fat content than most breastmilk.  its in 2 oz tubes which is a perfect size.  i just feel like it would be such a benefit to her at this point you know?

Quoting larissalarie:

I've heard it is also. I would guess the 60% of doctors who disagree/don't know are the same ones who think breastmilk is equivalent to formula which is most definitely NOT a clear liquid.

Your poor friend! If anyone could benefit from something lightweight, nutritionally complete, and very rapidly digested I would think she's at the top of the list!

tansyflower
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

i think it depends on what dr you talk too...which is crap in my opinion.  they SHOULD be making decisions from scientific data, not what they randomly feel about something that they have done little to no research on.

i dont think she would mind drinking it, but i think getting the dr to LET her drink it is going to be an uphill battle.  the hospital she is at is filled with MORONS.  they didnt even know she had a cyct before they opened her up.  who doesnt see a cycst the size of a gallon of milk inside someones abdomen with an ultrasound/catscan/mri?  they just split her open and where like WOW look at that!

seriously they are just so bad there.  right now she ate a cherry popcycle for breakfast...but breastmilk would be so bad.  NOT!

Quoting Sarah725:

I never heard bm was a clear liquid but i never heard it wasn't also.  But I do thing she would really benifit from bm that's an awesome idea to get her some.

melindabelcher
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Ive heard clear liquid
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:29 PM

I don't have sources but it seems like it would be a perfect fluid.

It's always advised to keep breastfeeding babies when they are sick. The doctors who aren't comfortable with it are likely just unfamiliar with it - MDs don't receive much, if any, lactation training, especially when it's outside their specialty.

tansyflower
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:09 PM

now they have upgraded her to orange juice (sigh) which is NOT a clear fluid so i dont see why breastmilk couldnt be a part of her diet at this point.  i am pming her sister with details.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

It's always advised to keep breastfeeding babies when they are sick. The doctors who aren't comfortable with it are likely just unfamiliar with it - MDs don't receive much, if any, lactation training, especially when it's outside their specialty.

FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I guess it would depend on the Doctor.  There is a cancer patient I know of who is on just bm and pot pills. He has been doing so much better since he started drinking the bm.  I dunno, but your friends situation is beyond sad right now. Wow. 

FebPenguins
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:06 PM

OJ is acidic, seems odd to "upgrade" to acid! Maybe very watered down broth?

Quoting tansyflower:

now they have upgraded her to orange juice (sigh) which is NOT a clear fluid so i dont see why breastmilk couldnt be a part of her diet at this point.  i am pming her sister with details.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN