Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Delayed Cord Clamping

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:48 AM
  • 16 Replies

Can you guys give me reasons that a doctor should clamp and cut right away? I talked about this to my dr who had actually "never heard of someone wanting to do this" and she kinda talked around it. Said merconium present would prevent her from delaying and if his cord was wrapped around his neck she wouldn't delay. I want her to delay and I know if things go wrong sometimes it might be best if it's done immediately, but there has to be times when dr says they should or need to but it's just convenience?

Kinda long but I need to know what my dr is doing for herself and what she's really doing for my son. Thanks for any help! :)

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:13 PM
2 moms liked this
If the cord is around his neck, she should unwrap it.
Can't meconium be cleaned up near mom?
As far as I can tell, the only reason a baby should NOT get all of his blood and stem cells, is if there's a medical emergency that requires him to be taken away immediately.
If you're doing kangaroo care there is absolutely no reason to cut it. I honestly don't understand why Drs are in a hurry to cut. They have to sit there and wait for the placenta anyway, it's not like it saves any time!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momma2013
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:17 PM

What's kangaroo care?!?!? Sounds exciting. Idk, my dr has been delivering for 20+yrs and never done it before. How sad!

Quoting jellyphish:

As far as I can tell, the only reason a baby should NOT get all of his blood and stem cells, is if there's a medical emergency that requires him to be taken away immediately.
If you're doing kangaroo care there is absolutely no reason to cut it. I honestly don't understand why Drs are in a hurry to cut. They have to sit there and wait for the placenta anyway, it's not like it saves any time!

Mrs.Salz
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:25 PM

99% of the time it's just for doctor convenience. Doctors are trained to intervene and view birth as an emergency waiting to happen so it's not common for them to wait for things to happen naturally in their own time. So with their thinking and training it's better/easier to cut immediately and take baby to a warmer for resuscitation and newborn procedures/examination than to to put baby on mom's chest and allow the placenta to work as it's designed.

Also from a business standpoint, since a hospital is a business, it's faster to clamp and cut immediately, give a shot of pitocin and deliver the placenta asap so they can move on to the next patient.

Fortunately, medical evidence is on your side! Is finding a new healthcare provider a possibility?

Mrs.Salz
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:26 PM

http://academicobgyn.com/2009/12/03/delayed-cord-clamping-should-be-standard-practice-in-obstetrics/

Also do a group search, there have been some posts about this in the past with more links :)

Mrs.Salz
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Meconium and nuchal cords are not usually emergencies and in most cases are actually a reason NOT to clamp the cord prematurely. Baby can be resuscitated on mom's chest if needed... sure, it's less convenient, but the well-being of patients is a doctor's primary responsibility, not his/her own convenience.

http://midwifethinking.com/2010/10/09/the-curse-of-meconium-stained-liquor/

http://midwifethinking.com/2010/07/29/nuchal-cords/

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:39 PM
2 moms liked this
Kangaroo care is when baby goes immediately from womb to mom's chest to nurse when ready, sometimes to breast crawl. Any cleaning, measuring, whatever is done after baby and mom have bonded and baby has nursed.

When Hera was born she was brought immediately to chest, I gave her a little room to crawl. If she had had any vernix I would have massaged it into her skin then. She stayed with me for a good hour, she didn't start nursing for about a half hour probably. The cord was cut after pulsation stopped, which was quicker than I thought. Only after all that was she wiped down gently and weighed.

Quoting Momma2013:

What's kangaroo care?!?!? Sounds exciting. Idk, my dr has been delivering for 20+yrs and never done it before. How sad!

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:06 PM

actually Kangaroo care is any type of skin to skin, it can also be done with dad. Its used alot in the NICUs so my fiance and I have a lot of experience with it for having two sons in the NICU

Quoting jellyphish:

Kangaroo care is when baby goes immediately from womb to mom's chest to nurse when ready, sometimes to breast crawl. Any cleaning, measuring, whatever is done after baby and mom have bonded and baby has nursed.

When Hera was born she was brought immediately to chest, I gave her a little room to crawl. If she had had any vernix I would have massaged it into her skin then. She stayed with me for a good hour, she didn't start nursing for about a half hour probably. The cord was cut after pulsation stopped, which was quicker than I thought. Only after all that was she wiped down gently and weighed.

Quoting Momma2013:

Quoting jellyphish:

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:12 PM
Thanks for the clarification!

Quoting Nicolle_09:

actually Kangaroo care is any type of skin to skin, it can also be done with dad. Its used alot in the NICUs so my fiance and I have a lot of experience with it for having two sons in the NICU

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting Momma2013:

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momma2013
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Thanks you guys! Now - who lives nearby enough to come explain this to my dr at my next visit in 2 weeks? :) She's a very nice lady and when I did talk to her about this yesterday she was very open but it seems, from what I feel anyways, that she pushes a LOT how much something can go wrong and I shouldn't have this plan set.

It's not a movie, it's not something that has to be perfect, it's child birth, I just want to know that they understand this is MY birth and I want nature to take it's course.

catholicmamamia
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Have you created a birth plan? If so.. going over it with her and covering all points will let you know more if you two are on the same page and if she is willing to respect your wishes about your birth. It is very important to choose a HCP who will give you the proper respect.. :o)

Quoting Momma2013: Thanks you guys! Now - who lives nearby enough to come explain this to my dr at my next visit in 2 weeks? :) She's a very nice lady and when I did talk to her about this yesterday she was very open but it seems, from what I feel anyways, that she pushes a LOT how much something can go wrong and I shouldn't have this plan set. It's not a movie, it's not something that has to be perfect, it's child birth, I just want to know that they understand this is MY birth and I want nature to take it's course.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN