Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Can you guys give me reasons that a doctor should clamp and cut right away? I talked about this to my dr who had actually "never heard of someone wanting to do this" and she kinda talked around it. Said merconium present would prevent her from delaying and if his cord was wrapped around his neck she wouldn't delay. I want her to delay and I know if things go wrong sometimes it might be best if it's done immediately, but there has to be times when dr says they should or need to but it's just convenience?

Kinda long but I need to know what my dr is doing for herself and what she's really doing for my son. Thanks for any help! :)

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Replies (11-16):
Mrs.Salz
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like you may want to consider hiring someone else. I'd also recommend a doula.

Quoting Momma2013:

Thanks you guys! Now - who lives nearby enough to come explain this to my dr at my next visit in 2 weeks? :) She's a very nice lady and when I did talk to her about this yesterday she was very open but it seems, from what I feel anyways, that she pushes a LOT how much something can go wrong and I shouldn't have this plan set.

It's not a movie, it's not something that has to be perfect, it's child birth, I just want to know that they understand this is MY birth and I want nature to take it's course.

Liebevoll_mami
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:25 AM

i'm irritated with the hospital that i had. he came out screaming...but the doctor said he was "grunting" and told us we NEEDED to cut the cord right away. but then she didnt take him off of my stomach for another 15 minutes. yet another reason i didnt have a good birth experience.  i agree with jellyphish

Trailerparkmom
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:59 PM

You might be better off switching to a different Dr or a midwife.  If this Dr is not comfortable with it and doesn't ever do it, they will probably forget in the moment and do what they are used to and comfortable with.  Or you will need a doula or good advocate their reminding the Dr not to clamp and cut.  

If it were me, i would have a homebirth because you have a much better chance of any "unusual" (to the hospital anyway) requests being honored there, and your birth will be treated as an event not a medical problem.  GL

doulala
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Be sure to interview and hire a care provider/attendants that help you achieve YOUR goals.
You might want a better fit with your maternity care provider.    But also a birth plan and a doula.

GL!

littlelambe2
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:11 AM

Dd1, the cord was wrapped around her neck twice. Dd2 had meconium present upon delivery. My doctor still waited for the cord to stop pulsating before he clamped it. He practices evidence based medicine, so I'm sure if those two situations meant immediate cord clamping, he wouldn't have wanted to wait. He wonders why delayed cord clamping isn't standard practice because of the proven benefits. 

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I would come armed with research for your next appointment. Also I would suggest hiring a doula for the birth to help advocate for you. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN