Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Stay at Home Moms?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:29 PM
  • 27 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hello I am wondering is anyone a SAHM if so do you work from home or does you Partner do all the working? I am wanting to be able to stay home for my family, but my DH does not make enough money alone to take care of us. Just trying to find ideas so that I can maybe stay home for my family but still help provode for them. Any advice or imput would be helpful

Brittany, 20, Married, Living Life to the fullest

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hapababies
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:37 PM
2 moms liked this
I am a stay at home mom and my best advice is to budget, budget, and budget some more. Figure out exactly how much money is leaving your bank account and why. That includes packs of gum and coffee on the go.
There are also coupons (which are usually not crunchy friendly, but you can find organic food coupons if you look hard enough) and sales (eventually organic products do go on sale).
There are other money saving things such as making your own soap, using cloth towels instead of paper towels, cloth diapers, and some people here use "family cloth" instead of toilet paper.
It's do able, but not exactly easy at first, especially when you start sacrificing your yummy mochas at your favorite coffee shop :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
comptonkids
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:40 PM
2 moms liked this
I suggest a budget, live for a few months using JUST dhs income to see if you can survive
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

This is what DH and I did. Now, I'm a SAHM and he does all the bread winning. :) We just have to stick to our budget. 

Quoting comptonkids:

I suggest a budget, live for a few months using JUST dhs income to see if you can survive

I'm Mary married(since 10-5-08) to Dallen, mommy to Serenity(2008) & Caidence(2010). Christian, SAHM, Full- term breast feeding, Cloth diapering, Vaccinating, Anti-CIO/Sleep-training, Natural birthing, holistic loving, AP, ERF, Bedsharing/co-sleepingresearch-loving kinda mama.

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:28 PM
I've been a SAHM for 3 years now. My husband really doesn't make much at all, we live in a tiny cheap apartment and don't do a lot of "fun"stuff to make it work. I have also taken babysitting/nanny jobs when they come up. When I'm doing that things aren't tight at all.

I am getting ready to return to work though. I'm a new real estate broker and the company I'm going to work for allows me to work from home, so I'll still be an at home Mommy most of the time too, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:30 PM
YES!!!! If you can't stick to the budget, you'll be miserable once you quit and can't pay your bills..I've seen friends not plan and staying home wasn't enjoyable because of the disastrous financial situation they created.

Quoting comptonkids:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:08 PM

As others have said, budget. We go without a lot of extras, but it is worth it.

chiarore
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:19 PM
I stay home, but also work part time. I work Saturdays, and I write when the kids are resting/napping. It works for us financially and it helps me feel more "productive". We do make sacrifices with me not working full time. We don't go out to dinner. We don't go to the movies. We rarely go on vacations. It's worth it.
Mrs.Salz
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:40 PM

In-home childcare, selling things on etsy or hyenacart if you are good with crafts, art, knitting etc; teaching music lessons.

I'm also a sahm. We stick to a tight budget which is hard sometimes... no vacations, very few extras, minimal Christmas/birthday gifts, not a lot of new clothes, etc. We drive older cars and my husband does most of the repairs when they're needed.

chiarore
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:43 PM
Oh, we also cut down to one car. That helped.
Mrs.Salz
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Cloth diapering also saves us a lot of money!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)