Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

My Costco Dilemma

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:58 PM
  • 15 Replies
In case you don't have Costco where you live, it is a huge warehouse club store where you can buy things in bulk and usually save a ton of money.

My parents have a membership and I love tagging along to buy a couple things here and there. I don't have my own membership because most of my groceries need to be purchased in smaller quantities for our little family. However, I am itching to go again and get some huge things of vinegar for cleaning.

The problem: much of what they sell is individually packaged and this goes against my goal of reducing waste in our household. For example I have this love for Carnation Instant Breakfast and I always ALMOST buy it there but each serving is individually packaged so I always put it back.

So if you shop at Costco, do you just not buy the things that are individually packaged or do you figure the savings for your family is worth it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LondonsMomma84
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't eat or drink things that come in small packages (other than canned tuna and various other smaller items).
Eliots_momma
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 4:57 PM
We have something similar, Sam's. Sometimes things are individually packaged but most of the time it comes in bulk. If you bought a box a cereal it would go bad before an average family could eat it unless they put the cereal into a resealable container :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:01 PM
I only buy stuff with recyclable (or mostly) packaging. The instant stuff I don't buy because of the trash volume but also because it's terrible for you. As pp said, I do buy some canned stuff, like refried beans and tuna, but those are not typically things you could find in larger packaging anyway and the cans are recyclable.
Mrs.Salz
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:21 PM

We only buy things in bulk. I can't think of any whole foods at costco that come individually packaged, only processed ones.

MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:29 PM
That's a good point. I am trying to ditch processed foods so I may not have that problem anymore.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

We only buy things in bulk. I can't think of any whole foods at costco that come individually packaged, only processed ones.

peaches_04
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:54 PM
I try to avoid buying in bulk bc it usually goes bad and i end up wasting it
amazzonia
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:08 PM

We always buy fresh foods, likelondonsmom said I think the only thing I buy packaged is tuna, everything else I try to make my self

catholicmamamia
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Giving up processed foods will save on excess packaging along with the obvious health and 'knowing your food' benefits! We buy a lot in bulk at Whole Foods.. :o)

Quoting MissSarah04: That's a good point. I am trying to ditch processed foods so I may not have that problem anymore.
Quoting Mrs.Salz: We only buy things in bulk. I can't think of any whole foods at costco that come individually packaged, only processed ones.

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:31 PM

We shop Costco monthly to stock up and after weighing the pros and cons i found that the money that can be saved for us is better then the added waste. Although most of the stuff that we buy there are meats, fruits and veggies. 

MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:04 PM
The closest whole foods is far. We have a new seasons. It's spendy but idk if whole foods is any better.

Quoting catholicmamamia:

Giving up processed foods will save on excess packaging along with the obvious health and 'knowing your food' benefits! We buy a lot in bulk at Whole Foods.. :o)

Quoting MissSarah04: That's a good point. I am trying to ditch processed foods so I may not have that problem anymore.

Quoting Mrs.Salz: We only buy things in bulk. I can't think of any whole foods at costco that come individually packaged, only processed ones.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)