Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Maybe a stupid but important question

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:55 AM
  • 21 Replies

What is retracting?

I know it mean moving the foreskin back but how far back?

Everytime my intact 7 month old DS has been to the doctors, they have moved his skin to see the hole but not any farther back, are the retracting him or is that okay?

I'm a lesbian with very little knowledge about penis' and I wasn't sure if I should tell his dr. not to do it again.

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doulala
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:03 AM
1 mom liked this

From the little I know about it that sounds safe...

but bump~~

outstandingLove
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting doulala:

From the little I know about it that sounds safe...

but bump~~

agreed.

NowImAMom...
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I would think that if they aren't exposing the head of his penis, it's ok. From my understanding, retracting is pulling the foreskin back to expose the head.

I had my son circ'd though, so I'm not sure. Worst parenting decision I've made so far, and I'm still beating myself up for it.

JMmama
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:10 AM
My ped doesn't do anything more than look in his diaper to make sure his testicles are where they belong and there isn't any obvious problem. She doesn't mess with the fore skin at all. This is my youngest who is 10m. He is intact but my older two boys are circed so I am by far no expert, but what you describe would make me uncomfortable. *I* would ask the Dr to stop but that may not be the "right" answer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:12 AM

As long as there is no forcing whatsoever, it should be fine.  If they have to stretch or strain the foreskin to see anything more than just the urethra, tell them to stop immediately.  I think they're probably making sure that he can pee properly, and if they can't see the urethra without forcing the skin, then it's probably indicative of problems.

pinkiebabii
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:13 AM
It does make me uncomfortable. I will tell her next time not to do it. Thank you.

Quoting JMmama:

My ped doesn't do anything more than look in his diaper to make sure his testicles are where they belong and there isn't any obvious problem. She doesn't mess with the fore skin at all. This is my youngest who is 10m. He is intact but my older two boys are circed so I am by far no expert, but what you describe would make me uncomfortable. *I* would ask the Dr to stop but that may not be the "right" answer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I think they are doing it to make sure the hole is staying open and not getting blocked. not sure what retracting is though.

pinkiebabii
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:16 AM
1 mom liked this
There isn't forcing at all.
Thank you for replying. I was really worried I let the dr hurt him and you made me feel better.

Quoting kailu1835:

As long as there is no forcing whatsoever, it should be fine.  If they have to stretch or strain the foreskin to see anything more than just the urethra, tell them to stop immediately.  I think they're probably making sure that he can pee properly, and if they can't see the urethra without forcing the skin, then it's probably indicative of problems.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:39 AM

If your son is not acting like he is uncomfortable then I think it should be fine. Like I said, there's checking the urethra, and then there's trying to push it beyond where it should go.  The foreskin may not retract on its own until he's an adult, and that's okay, though docs here in the US tend to be less familiar with that singular fact than in other countries.

Quoting pinkiebabii:

There isn't forcing at all.
Thank you for replying. I was really worried I let the dr hurt him and you made me feel better.

Quoting kailu1835:

babiesbabybaby development

peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:08 AM
As long as theyre not rolling anything back
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)