Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Maybe a stupid but important question

Posted by   + Show Post

What is retracting?

I know it mean moving the foreskin back but how far back?

Everytime my intact 7 month old DS has been to the doctors, they have moved his skin to see the hole but not any farther back, are the retracting him or is that okay?

I'm a lesbian with very little knowledge about penis' and I wasn't sure if I should tell his dr. not to do it again.

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:55 AM
Replies (11-20):
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:11 AM
Same answer for me.

Quoting NowImAMom...:

I would think that if they aren't exposing the head of his penis, it's ok. From my understanding, retracting is pulling the foreskin back to expose the head.

I had my son circ'd though, so I'm not sure. Worst parenting decision I've made so far, and I'm still beating myself up for it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cbreland07
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:14 AM
That's safe.. Retraction is where they forcibly pull the skin down from around the head. The skin won't go fully down by itself till around 4 or 5 yrs old
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cbreland07
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:17 AM
Ugh I feel the same! My husband wanted it done and I didn't but he was so adamant (which us rare) and being the man I felt like he knew a bit more than me about it. I apologize every time I change my little mans diaper

Quoting JoJoBean8:

Same answer for me.

Quoting NowImAMom...:

I would think that if they aren't exposing the head of his penis, it's ok. From my understanding, retracting is pulling the foreskin back to expose the head.

I had my son circ'd though, so I'm not sure. Worst parenting decision I've made so far, and I'm still beating myself up for it.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Pulling it back slightly to check the urethra opening is common, and not retracting, but also not really needed. On the rare occasion we got a to doctor I ask them not to do it. I've heard from Europeans that their doctors never do that - it's something a lot of American doctors do because they aren't very familiar with an intact penis.

At this point the foreskin is still tightly fused together around the glans, and retracting is anything that attempts to break that "seal" and pull the foreskin back.... as you probably know it's painful and harmful.

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Many boys are not fully retractible until puberty and about 1% are not fully retractible until age 18 or so.

Quoting Cbreland07:

That's safe.. Retraction is where they forcibly pull the skin down from around the head. The skin won't go fully down by itself till around 4 or 5 yrs old

FebPenguins
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Mrs. Salz, thanks for jumping in, I also thought I had older too.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Many boys are not fully retractible until puberty and about 1% are not fully retractible until age 18 or so.

Quoting Cbreland07:

catholicmamamia
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Agreed.. our pedi knows not to touch, not just because I say so but because *he knows.* 

Quoting Mrs.Salz: Pulling it back slightly to check the urethra opening is common, and not retracting, but also not really needed. On the rare occasion we got a to doctor I ask them not to do it. I've heard from Europeans that their doctors never do that - it's something a lot of American doctors do because they aren't very familiar with an intact penis. At this point the foreskin is still tightly fused together around the glans, and retracting is anything that attempts to break that "seal" and pull the foreskin back.... as you probably know it's painful and harmful.

adamsmama
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:29 PM

They're checking if the meatus is midline, which is okay. It should not involve any stretching or tearing. Just watch closely and if you see a doc pushing past the point of meeting resistance, say please do not retract his foreskin! If they end up tearing the foreskin, infection is likely to result.

LuvAZmomma
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:29 AM

they gently exposing the head to check for signs of infection.

Quoting pinkiebabii:

It does make me uncomfortable. I will tell her next time not to do it. Thank you.

Quoting JMmama:

My ped doesn't do anything more than look in his diaper to make sure his testicles are where they belong and there isn't any obvious problem. She doesn't mess with the fore skin at all. This is my youngest who is 10m. He is intact but my older two boys are circed so I am by far no expert, but what you describe would make me uncomfortable. *I* would ask the Dr to stop but that may not be the "right" answer.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I wouldnt stress about it if you can not see the head really just the hole...you can ask them not to touch it is yu want

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)