Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I feel like the only one :( vent

Posted by   + Show Post

I feel like the only person in "real" life that doesn't practice CIO :(  My cousin posted this FB status: 

Does anyone else have a marathon crier at night? "Cry it out" or "extinction" methods state that a baby may cry 20 or possibly 45 min before falling asleep. Our babe has no issue with crying for 1.5-2 hours before we go check on her. Is C the only one who actually cries this long at night?

Every person that has responded to it so far with advice on various other CIO methods...  I feel so bad for this baby!  She's an avid BabyWise follower as well, scheduling feedings 4 hours apart before 3 months while breastfeeding.  When she complained about having a fussy baby then, everyone just told her to give cereal in a bottle *sigh*  As much as I try to help educate her, in a kind matter, everyone else keeps reinforcing the Babywise type methods

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:21 AM
Replies (11-20):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Yeah I just had a friend post about using CIO last night, yeah it was only for 10 min but still it breaks my heart.  This momma wanted an all natural birth, BF etc etc but she had a section because of HBP, FF from birth andnow is using CIO makes me so sad.  I have given up trying to educate her because basically I am hoping she may learn something from my posts and if I push it she will delete me

illegallyblonde
by Stephany on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:52 AM
Poor baby
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PoodleMum
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:59 PM
2 moms liked this

I can't even listen for 5 minutes, even when it's not CIO (like car rides)...  My kids hardly ever cry!  If Evie starts fussing, I nurse her immediately, chnage her bum, and then snuggle/wear her.  She sleeps in our bed too.  We did them same with our first and everyone said we were spoiling her :P  Ten guesses who has the most independent and awesome kid lol. 

Quoting peaches_04:

How can someone listen to their baby cry for two hours!

PoodleMum
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:01 PM

She's about 14 months

Quoting peaches_04:

How old is the baby?

PoodleMum
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Luckily my FB is full of awesome crunchy mamas I've met on here and LLL, but this just broke my heart.  Especially since it's family :/  I just wish there was a way to block certain key phrases instead of one person completelyl lol

Quoting jellyphish:

Yuck. I made Isis CIO for 40 minutes one night when she was 4 months. It broke my heart; I cried ALL night that night and gave up bw right there. I don't understand how people can neglect their babies like that.

Anyway, yes I was the only one until I got on meetup/fb and joined local natural mom groups. Building a small community helped a LOT.

PoodleMum
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:10 PM

She is really natural and stuff, so I would have thought she'd have a more child friendly way of parenting :/  She went into labour on her own after her EDD, tried to go natural (got an epi after 30 hours), cloth diapers, and breastfeeds (on a schedule, but somehow it seemed to work for her).  They're very research oriented (vaxing is another thing we disagree on, their research came from the local university's vaccine department, I'm suuuuure they got some great unbiased information there...), so I just mentioned researching cio just made my feelings against it firmer.  So far she hasn't come back to the post, but there was a mama who said she was going to keep bedsharing til baby was older! 

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Yeah I just had a friend post about using CIO last night, yeah it was only for 10 min but still it breaks my heart.  This momma wanted an all natural birth, BF etc etc but she had a section because of HBP, FF from birth andnow is using CIO makes me so sad.  I have given up trying to educate her because basically I am hoping she may learn something from my posts and if I push it she will delete me

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:13 PM
I TOTALLY know what you mean. My parents and my sibs are all about CIO and BW. I couldnt STAND listening to my niece and nephews CIO. Ugh. Ironically my cousins seem to be more natural minded, but they're all across the country.

Quoting PoodleMum:

Luckily my FB is full of awesome crunchy mamas I've met on here and LLL, but this just broke my heart.  Especially since it's family :/  I just wish there was a way to block certain key phrases instead of one person completelyl lol

Quoting jellyphish:

Yuck. I made Isis CIO for 40 minutes one night when she was 4 months. It broke my heart; I cried ALL night that night and gave up bw right there. I don't understand how people can neglect their babies like that.

Anyway, yes I was the only one until I got on meetup/fb and joined local natural mom groups. Building a small community helped a LOT.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:27 PM
2 moms liked this

And they wonder why kids grow up with attachment issues. smh.  Someone needs to burn those books, they do NOTHING but spread lies and disharmony.  That poor baby...

Nolanzo
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:34 PM
2 moms liked this
This is the ONE time I advocate burning a book! Even the books own author has voluntarily recanted these methods. Its truly scary the kind of misinformation that exists out there and even scarier that people are so quick to cling to a certain way of doing things.

BABIES ARE NOT ROBOTS
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarineLewis
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:47 PM
I personally think the cry it out method is cruel. Dh and I tried it once. We lasted 2 hours (checking every 20 min) and decided it wasn't for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN