Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I feel like the only one :( vent

Posted by   + Show Post

I feel like the only person in "real" life that doesn't practice CIO :(  My cousin posted this FB status: 

Does anyone else have a marathon crier at night? "Cry it out" or "extinction" methods state that a baby may cry 20 or possibly 45 min before falling asleep. Our babe has no issue with crying for 1.5-2 hours before we go check on her. Is C the only one who actually cries this long at night?

Every person that has responded to it so far with advice on various other CIO methods...  I feel so bad for this baby!  She's an avid BabyWise follower as well, scheduling feedings 4 hours apart before 3 months while breastfeeding.  When she complained about having a fussy baby then, everyone just told her to give cereal in a bottle *sigh*  As much as I try to help educate her, in a kind matter, everyone else keeps reinforcing the Babywise type methods

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:21 AM
Replies (21-30):
parisonmom
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:50 PM
I do the CIO method but not like that. Poor baby needs to be with someone else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoodleMum
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

My DH kept telling me we should use it to get our toddler to sleep (she went through a rough period of waking every 20-30 minutes ALL NIGHT), but every time I tried to put her to bed by herself, he'd snatch her up at the slightest fuss lol. 

Quoting SarineLewis:

I personally think the cry it out method is cruel. Dh and I tried it once. We lasted 2 hours (checking every 20 min) and decided it wasn't for us.

melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM
I have a crier and I hate it. Shes gone hrs just crying and crying :'(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PoodleMum
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:13 PM

My first was like that til we found out she was allergic to dairy, but we never just left her by herself :(  DH worked nights, but my MIL would hold her when I needed a break.  I never even considered just letting her cry if I was on my own!

Quoting melindabelcher:

melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:22 PM
Oh yah. we hold/sing/rock/nurse etc.
There has been a couple times when I put her down to center myself or go to the bathroom.
I felt pressured to let my first cio I fought it but I thought it was normal. I tried a.couple times but it was so sad that I couldn't follow through. He bed shared until 2 and we never again tried cio again. And ive since learned how harmful it is.
It's sad :(

Quoting PoodleMum:

My first was like that til we found out she was allergic to dairy, but we never just left her by herself :(  DH worked nights, but my MIL would hold her when I needed a break.  I never even considered just letting her cry if I was on my own!

Quoting melindabelcher:

Tinkermom77
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:15 AM

never could handle the CIO stuff. It breaks my heart when any of my kids cry, no matter the reason. Poor baby needs love not to be ignored and afraid.

Jessica, Mate to Eric and Mama of Big Bro Kain (10), Princess Morigan(9), Ninja Baby Aubrey (3), ~i~ Keanan(3/18/02), ~i~ baby (9wks, 2009) and 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Diamondblue1
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:04 AM
You can't listen to what everyone says:(
joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:08 AM
:( poor baby
rockyhugs35
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh my goodness that poor poor baby. I fed on demand and dd didn't sleep through the night until 11 months. I've let her cry for 10min max. And I know her I'm just making noise as opposed to scared/hungry. I could never let her cry for that long :(
LuvAZmomma
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Even with CIO I have only heard to leave baby for a max of 10-15 min before checking on them. Even if she wanted to CIO she is doing it wrong. I would never leave my baby crying for 20 min without at least checking on them.  I am not saying either way is right or wrong. but leaving a baby to cry for 1.5-2 hours is just wrong. How old is that baby?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)