Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I feel like the only one :( vent

Posted by   + Show Post

I feel like the only person in "real" life that doesn't practice CIO :(  My cousin posted this FB status: 

Does anyone else have a marathon crier at night? "Cry it out" or "extinction" methods state that a baby may cry 20 or possibly 45 min before falling asleep. Our babe has no issue with crying for 1.5-2 hours before we go check on her. Is C the only one who actually cries this long at night?

Every person that has responded to it so far with advice on various other CIO methods...  I feel so bad for this baby!  She's an avid BabyWise follower as well, scheduling feedings 4 hours apart before 3 months while breastfeeding.  When she complained about having a fussy baby then, everyone just told her to give cereal in a bottle *sigh*  As much as I try to help educate her, in a kind matter, everyone else keeps reinforcing the Babywise type methods

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:21 AM
Replies (31-40):
Kyonarai
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:49 AM

My DD gets really fussy whe she's overtired(Everyone's always so gripy about me not having her on any sort of schedule...she eats/sleeps/whatever when she wants to), so I sometimes just have to let her crawl all over me on the bed and flail and tantrum in frustration whenever she shuts her eyes and doesn't immediately fall asleep. (I swear, she thinks she should fall asleep instantly as soon as her eyes are shut, because she'll shut them and be still for a moment and then give this terribly frustrated cry!). I just lay with her through it all, and try to comfort her the best I can. Sometimes she'll let me snuggle her, and sometimes she wont. She's 11 months old now and pretty big about independance when trying to do stuff. Wants me to be there with her, but also do it herself.

piwife
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:55 AM
I don't cio but once they turn 18 mts I start letting them cry a lil too go to bed. My kids are 5 and 3 now and my 5 yr old still puts up a fight to go to bed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:35 AM
So sad:( I am so disturbed when moms "brag" about how long their baby was left to cry!! My youngest son (9 mos) is extremely fussy, cries a lot and wakes 2-3 times a night. I spend a lot of time holding him and nursing him. The idea of leaving him scared, confused and alone for any amount of time is so crazy and upsetting to me.

My parents, sister and some of my friends keep telling me to "kick him out" of our room so he can "learn to sleep better"... Um... Did I mention he's 9 months old. Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's still a little baby who is in the throes of seperation anxiety- I'm fine with being there when my son needs me- regardless of what time of day or night it maybe.
Momma2013
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:10 AM

The only reason I won't be catering to my sons every fuss is because I want to go to the bathroom alone sometimes. But I think anything past 10-15 minutes is just pure torture! That's horrible that a parent can do that to their child. Also - why is it called the BabyWise method if they don't truly believe that the baby is wise enough to know when they need something? Baby's hungry, baby needs to eat! Babies cry for a reason! I couldn't stay fb friends with that person. That would really upset me everytime he/she posted something so ignorant.

Stay strong and hug your babies extra today! :)

KSK0811
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:28 AM

So sad that poor baby cried for 2 hours. Breaks my heart.

EthansMomma2010
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:32 AM
Ugh. That's just bad parenting. That has nothing to do with natural vs. Mainstream. Smh. That's sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicole4ray
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:23 PM

CIO breaks my heart. I've never done it, and never will. At the moment we live with my sister and her husband, and they do CIO, their son is almost 3 and still screams up to an hour when they put him to bed before they'll go in to check on him. It makes me crazy!

dakojayd88
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:22 PM

This is so sad. And it's such a touchy subject for moms. I have never let my baby cry it out, i don't know how anyone could. All we can do is hope that maybe there eyes will be opened to the damaging effects of this neglectful type of parenting.

danichaos
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:44 AM
:(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PoodleMum
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:58 AM

She still hasn't said anything yet...  I totally understand letting your baby fuss for a minute while you do things (like potty lol) or taking a break if you just can't handle it anymore, but not this!!!  It's just cruel :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)