Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

36 week check-up. Should I decline the vaginal exam?

Posted by   + Show Post

I had a hospital transfer and c-section at 39 weeks with my first pregnancy due to pre-eclampsia, and we were in the hospital over a week getting my blood pressure and DS's jaundice under control.

I have the same wonderful midwife this time around, and we're both on board for a VBAC at her birth center.  (Fingers crossed that pre-e doesn't rear its head this time around!).

So, she said she typically likes to do a vaginal exam at 36 weeks, but she won't if I don't want one.

I'm not so sure that declining would benefit me, as I'm hoping to arm myself with as much information as possible to help ensure this delivery goes as we'd planned our last one.  If my cervix doesn't show signs of ripening, she has some alternative measures she can take (herbs, I think), but if we don't do the exam, we simply won't know...

Yet I don't want a vag exam to halt whatever progress I might be having, as I'm already a bit head-shy about delivery, considering my first birth experience...

Any thoughts, ladies?

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:18 AM
Replies (11-20):
melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:09 PM
Another no go here
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:32 PM
I had one exam at 37 weeks just to see. I was dying of curiosity. I had my next one at the birth center while in labor. Next pregnancy I will skip them all.

There isn't a right or wrong answer. I feel the risk is low so if you feel better getting an exam then go for it. But beware of false hope/despair as a previous poster mentioned.
catholicmamamia
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Quoting doulala: A vaginal exam will mean unnecessary risks/less chance of vbac success. Don't do it if health & safety are your priority.

peaches_04
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Id skip it especially that early there really is no point
If you really want one id wait til ATLEAST 38 weeks
Diamondblue1
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:59 AM
Get it done so you'll know what you're dealing with. I had a lot of exams myself but they were worth it.
Duquesne
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:02 AM
No offense, but you had some complications afterwards, didn't you? That's the risk of vaginal exams.

Quoting Diamondblue1:

Get it done so you'll know what you're dealing with. I had a lot of exams myself but they were worth it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Diamondblue1
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:09 AM
Quoting Duquesne:

Not from the exams but from my water bag breaking and i got left in triage for 13 hours with no labor so i ended up getting an infection. But do what's best for you if you feel like you don't need it i wouldn't worry i felt the same way about getting a c section and i had her vaginally with no problems:)
Duquesne
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:12 AM
My water bag was broken for three days;)...having inserted nothing up, I had next to no risk of infection. This is a matter or risk/benefit. In no way do vaginal exams' risks not outweigh the benefit. They sure didn't ease your mind much;).

Quoting Diamondblue1:

Quoting Duquesne:

Not from the exams but from my water bag breaking and i got left in triage for 13 hours with no labor so i ended up getting an infection. But do what's best for you if you feel like you don't need it i wouldn't worry i felt the same way about getting a c section and i had her vaginally with no problems:)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvAZmomma
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:32 AM
it is unnecessary and can pose greater risk of infection there is no neeed to check your cevix not everyone's cervix begins to "ripen" before labor. A vaginal exam also can jump start labor. It did with my last pregnancy and I know that I am going to refuse exams from now on.
amberklo
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:37 AM
I had a vback and a exam at 36wks It just tells you how far dilated you are and such.I wanted to know lol. I.was 2cm : ) Good luck on the v back I loved it you heal sooo much faster
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)