Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

36 week check-up. Should I decline the vaginal exam?

Posted by   + Show Post

I had a hospital transfer and c-section at 39 weeks with my first pregnancy due to pre-eclampsia, and we were in the hospital over a week getting my blood pressure and DS's jaundice under control.

I have the same wonderful midwife this time around, and we're both on board for a VBAC at her birth center.  (Fingers crossed that pre-e doesn't rear its head this time around!).

So, she said she typically likes to do a vaginal exam at 36 weeks, but she won't if I don't want one.

I'm not so sure that declining would benefit me, as I'm hoping to arm myself with as much information as possible to help ensure this delivery goes as we'd planned our last one.  If my cervix doesn't show signs of ripening, she has some alternative measures she can take (herbs, I think), but if we don't do the exam, we simply won't know...

Yet I don't want a vag exam to halt whatever progress I might be having, as I'm already a bit head-shy about delivery, considering my first birth experience...

Any thoughts, ladies?

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:18 AM
Replies (21-30):
amberklo
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:41 AM
therebare no risk lol.I had a great vback no problems 4th pregnancy never had any problems

Quoting Duquesne:

No offense, but you had some complications afterwards, didn't you? That's the risk of vaginal exams.

Quoting Diamondblue1:

Get it done so you'll know what you're dealing with. I had a lot of exams myself but they were worth it.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Duquesne
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:50 AM
Ask someone who got an infection. Just because you're unaware of the risks, doesn't mean there aren't any. ;)

Quoting amberklo:

therebare no risk lol.I had a great vback no problems 4th pregnancy never had any problems

Quoting Duquesne:

No offense, but you had some complications afterwards, didn't you? That's the risk of vaginal exams.

Quoting Diamondblue1:

Get it done so you'll know what you're dealing with. I had a lot of exams myself but they were worth it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amberklo
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:11 AM
you can get an infection from having sex from.having a paps there are alll kinds of ways so do you not have sex or get paps?

Quoting Duquesne:

Ask someone who got an infection. Just because you're unaware of the risks, doesn't mean there aren't any. ;)

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting Duquesne:

Quoting Diamondblue1:

amberklo
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:12 AM
also after your water breaks you can get an infection so do you not them check your cervix as well

Quoting amberklo:

you can get an infection from having sex from.having a paps there are alll kinds of ways so do you not have sex or get paps?

Quoting Duquesne:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting Duquesne:

Quoting Diamondblue1:

Duquesne
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:13 AM
No. I get no paps. And vaginal checks don't get me off.

The issue with them is that they tell you nothing. So you risk infection for no damn reason at all. Feel free to get them but to pretend they're important and risk free at 36 weeks is laughable.

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting Duquesne:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting Duquesne:

Quoting Diamondblue1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Duquesne
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:16 AM
My water was broken for three days. No cervical checks. No infection. You risk infection by jamming fingers up there with a broken water sac.

Ask diamond about her risk free cervix checks.

Quoting amberklo:

also after your water breaks you can get an infection so do you not them check your cervix as well

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting Duquesne:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting Duquesne:

Quoting Diamondblue1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amberklo
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:27 AM
yeap my.point proven Og FYI a paps is how my friend found out she had cervical cancer

Quoting Duquesne:

The issue with them is that they tell you nothing. So you risk infection for no damn reason at all. Feel free to get them but to pretend they're important and risk free at 36 weeks is laughable.

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting Duquesne:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting Duquesne:

Quoting Diamondblue1:

amberklo
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM
yes and in.the NICU i have meet mothers who have went weeks with water broken.my SIL included its called antibiotics.They start it was soon as it breaks when your in preterm labor.Other then that your stpry does not make sense why in the heck.would you go 3days with your water broke

Quoting Duquesne:

My water was broken for three days. No cervical checks. No infection. You risk infection by jamming fingers up there with a broken water sac.

Ask diamond about her risk free cervix checks.

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting Duquesne:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting Duquesne:

Quoting Diamondblue1:

Duquesne
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:31 AM
I don't see the point of getting paps in pregnancy? Lol

Quoting amberklo:

yeap my.point proven Og FYI a paps is how my friend found out she had cervical cancer

Quoting Duquesne:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting Duquesne:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting Duquesne:

Quoting Diamondblue1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ToriBabe1221
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:32 AM
I would skip it. It tells you nothing, really. Imo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)