Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

36 week check-up. Should I decline the vaginal exam?

Posted by   + Show Post

I had a hospital transfer and c-section at 39 weeks with my first pregnancy due to pre-eclampsia, and we were in the hospital over a week getting my blood pressure and DS's jaundice under control.

I have the same wonderful midwife this time around, and we're both on board for a VBAC at her birth center.  (Fingers crossed that pre-e doesn't rear its head this time around!).

So, she said she typically likes to do a vaginal exam at 36 weeks, but she won't if I don't want one.

I'm not so sure that declining would benefit me, as I'm hoping to arm myself with as much information as possible to help ensure this delivery goes as we'd planned our last one.  If my cervix doesn't show signs of ripening, she has some alternative measures she can take (herbs, I think), but if we don't do the exam, we simply won't know...

Yet I don't want a vag exam to halt whatever progress I might be having, as I'm already a bit head-shy about delivery, considering my first birth experience...

Any thoughts, ladies?

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:18 AM
Replies (41-50):
amberklo
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:17 PM
i have had them.done at this point but like you said. not really needed I am.not argueing that point.I was dialted at 2cm but did not have baby until 39wk and 5days (duendate was off by a few days to so it was really 40wks

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

They're talking about getting an exam at 36 wks pregnant to see if you're dilating or thinning out.  Paps are generally not done this late in pregnancy.   Choosing to not get the exam because there really is no reason to doesn't mean you're doing it for invalid reasons lol.

Quoting amberklo:

same concept though you shouldnt miss something just out of risk for infection.If you are bot going to do it at 36wks do it just because you dont want it done yet dont.do.it for an invaled reason.Besides this was towards why you should get a paps done

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

getting a pap early in the pregnancy to make sure your body is healthy to go full term is way different than getting any vaginal exams 36 wks into a healthy pregnancy.  At this point, the only thing that should be going in her vagina is her husband's penis.

Quoting amberklo:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amberklo
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:18 PM
did you read it all??

Quoting amberklo:

i have had them.done at this point but like you said. not really needed I am.not argueing that point.I was dialted at 2cm but did not have baby until 39wk and 5days (duendate was off by a few days to so it was really 40wks

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

They're talking about getting an exam at 36 wks pregnant to see if you're dilating or thinning out.  Paps are generally not done this late in pregnancy.   Choosing to not get the exam because there really is no reason to doesn't mean you're doing it for invalid reasons lol.

Quoting amberklo:

same concept though you shouldnt miss something just out of risk for infection.If you are bot going to do it at 36wks do it just because you dont want it done yet dont.do.it for an invaled reason.Besides this was towards why you should get a paps done

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

getting a pap early in the pregnancy to make sure your body is healthy to go full term is way different than getting any vaginal exams 36 wks into a healthy pregnancy.  At this point, the only thing that should be going in her vagina is her husband's penis.

Quoting amberklo:

amberklo
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:19 PM
Looks like you just miss read my post

Quoting amberklo:

did you read it all??

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

Quoting amberklo:

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I don't see that you wrote any updates, what did you decide to do?

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Quoting Sarah725:

I don't see that you wrote any updates, what did you decide to do?

Well, the sheer volume of responses against a VE / cervical check at 36 weeks has certainly made me think twice! 

I don't have my 36 week appointment until the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, but I can say at this point that I'm swayed against having it.  I'll chat it over with my midwife and make sure we're both on the same page about this before my appointment...

louzannalady
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:01 AM
http://www.cafemom.com/group/117811/forums/read/17311922/The_Benefits_and_Risks_of_Routine_Vaginal_Internal_Exams?use_mobile=0
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:06 AM
Vaginal exams increase the risk of PROM's (premature rupture of membranes, which is where your water breaks before labor is ready to start) and of infection. Here are some articles and studies for your consideration.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/117811/forums/read/17311922/The_Benefits_and_Risks_of_Routine_Vaginal_Internal_Exams?use_mobile=0

Quoting Diamondblue1:

Quoting Duquesne:

Not from the exams but from my water bag breaking and i got left in triage for 13 hours with no labor so i ended up getting an infection. But do what's best for you if you feel like you don't need it i wouldn't worry i felt the same way about getting a c section and i had her vaginally with no problems:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:08 AM
There are risks to vaginal exams. Here are some great articles and studies for your consideration.

Quoting amberklo:

therebare no risk lol.I had a great vback no problems 4th pregnancy never had any problems

Quoting Duquesne:

No offense, but you had some complications afterwards, didn't you? That's the risk of vaginal exams.

Quoting Diamondblue1:

Get it done so you'll know what you're dealing with. I had a lot of exams myself but they were worth it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:12 AM
No, if I am having term labor and my water was broken, after all the research I have done- I would not consent to a vaginal exam. Too much risk of infection, too much risk of being put "on the clock", and too much risk of it adversely affecting my dilation and too much risk it will slow or stall my labor. Our bodies are smart and know that our cervix should not be touched.

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/saferbirthinabarn.asp

Quoting amberklo:

also after your water breaks you can get an infection so do you not them check your cervix as well

Quoting amberklo:

you can get an infection from having sex from.having a paps there are alll kinds of ways so do you not have sex or get paps?

Quoting Duquesne:

Ask someone who got an infection. Just because you're unaware of the risks, doesn't mean there aren't any. ;)

Quoting amberklo:

therebare no risk lol.I had a great vback no problems 4th pregnancy never had any problems

Quoting Duquesne:

No offense, but you had some complications afterwards, didn't you? That's the risk of vaginal exams.

Quoting Diamondblue1:

Get it done so you'll know what you're dealing with. I had a lot of exams myself but they were worth it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:18 AM
You realize the risk involved in a pap that early? If her cervix opened from it because of the irritation or it ruptured her bags at eight weeks her baby would have died. Why? Just so she could worry the next 32 weeks about cancer, when she could have just waited for her six week post-partum check up.... Sorry, I am not trying to rude ir snarky. I just don't get the logic of messing with a part if the body that was not meant to be tampered with and is designed to protect your baby, when a woman has a safer option of getting the pap post-partum.

Quoting amberklo:

I didnt either until my friend found out she had cervical cancer.He 1st one was when she was about 8wks prrgnant she waited until she had the baby to do anymore testing.After she gave birth she found out her add normal pap was cervical cancer

Quoting Duquesne:

I don't see the point of getting paps in pregnancy? Lol

Quoting amberklo:

yeap my.point proven Og FYI a paps is how my friend found out she had cervical cancer

Quoting Duquesne:

No. I get no paps. And vaginal checks don't get me off.

The issue with them is that they tell you nothing. So you risk infection for no damn reason at all. Feel free to get them but to pretend they're important and risk free at 36 weeks is laughable.

Quoting amberklo:

you can get an infection from having sex from.having a paps there are alll kinds of ways so do you not have sex or get paps?

Quoting Duquesne:

Ask someone who got an infection. Just because you're unaware of the risks, doesn't mean there aren't any. ;)

Quoting amberklo:

Quoting Duquesne:

Quoting Diamondblue1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)