Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Almond or Coconut milk? PIOG *POLL*

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:02 PM
  • 29 Replies

Poll

Question: Coconut or Almond milk? Please explain why below!!

Options:

Coconut Milk

Almond Milk

Neither

Both

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 26

View Results

My daughter is doing a case study for Complex Motor Stereotypy. We are doing Chiropractic care and diet changes so far to see if there is any change. 
So her doc recommended our first diet change be to remove cows milk from her diet. We were using organic milk, but she said to just remove it completely.

So first we switched out her chocolate milk, she gets one tiny (like 4-6 oz) cup in the morning with breakfast, with coconut chocolate milk.
She will only drink it if it is with a straw, she said it tastes weird drinking it normally.
So we just switched out the white milk with almond milk. It is AMAZING! We all love it, but I am worried about what it will taste like when I make macaroni and cheese with it (The one thing we haven't changed over yet is cheeses).

So my question is!!!!!

What do you prefer and why? Coconut or Almond milk? 

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:08 PM
Oh the almond milk should be good for that, that's what I use. Coconut milk will make for coconut tasting Mac n cheese! So if that's what youd like, then go for coconut!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:11 PM
We do both and alternate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Almond milk. 

adamsmama
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not a fan of those artificial "milks" that are loaded with sugar and preservatives. I would try raw goat milk or just kick the habit.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:05 PM
You can get it unsweetened or make it at home w/o sugar.

Quoting adamsmama:

I'm not a fan of those artificial "milks" that are loaded with sugar and preservatives. I would try raw goat milk or just kick the habit.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:17 PM
Our organic ones don't have any preservatives.

Quoting adamsmama:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't care for coconut anything. I love almond milk though!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:01 PM
I love almond milk and coconut milk but 2 of my kids are allergic to almonds so we can only have coconut! If you get the plain coconut milk it is hard to tell what it is in foods. Although you might want to try plain almond for mac and cheese.

I do want to tell you though (not sure what your plans are) if you are cutting out cows milk for health reasons and to see a change you do need to cut out every little tiny bit :'( It definitely can make that much of a difference. I was dairy free for almost 2 years. I've always had what I thought was a lactose intolerance but after I quit eating all dairy in everything all of these IBS symptoms I had went away and I felt so much healthier. If your body doesn't process it properly it can do all sorts of crazy stuff like make you hyper, have trouble focusing, headaches, moodiness, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Yeah the cheese is going to be the hardest part. But we are full on committed after Thanksgiving to get her off dairy.

Quoting jconney80:

I love almond milk and coconut milk but 2 of my kids are allergic to almonds so we can only have coconut! If you get the plain coconut milk it is hard to tell what it is in foods. Although you might want to try plain almond for mac and cheese.

I do want to tell you though (not sure what your plans are) if you are cutting out cows milk for health reasons and to see a change you do need to cut out every little tiny bit :'( It definitely can make that much of a difference. I was dairy free for almost 2 years. I've always had what I thought was a lactose intolerance but after I quit eating all dairy in everything all of these IBS symptoms I had went away and I felt so much healthier. If your body doesn't process it properly it can do all sorts of crazy stuff like make you hyper, have trouble focusing, headaches, moodiness, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Once you actually get rid of cheese, it's not a big deal. Cheese has such an overwhelming flavor, it masks other Flavors IMO.
Anyway, if you use alternative cheeses at all, be careful- most of them actually have dairy derivatives in them (follow your heart (non gmo soy), tofutti (gmo soy), and dayia (made from veg oils) are the only non dairy cheeses I know of).

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Yeah the cheese is going to be the hardest part. But we are full on committed after Thanksgiving to get her off dairy.

Quoting jconney80:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)