Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

HELP! Natural Birth/Pregnancy Rule Book?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:18 AM
  • 20 Replies

I just want to know how I learn everything you guys know, well the basics of it. I'm looking for that perfect book that touches on everything. I wasn't able to get a midwife because of $$$ issues with dh losing his old job and his new job not paying near what his old job did. So we had to find an ob - she's really nice and seems to be open to what I want but I don't even know what I want.

Things like not getting vaginal exams, delaying cord clamp and stuff like that I had never heard of before joining this group. I know there have to be TONS of other things that I want to look into and know before I just agree to something that oops - I shouldn't be doing. I'm almost 30 weeks so I have to go to my dr every other week, the last month or 2 we go to once a week. She just checks my weigh, blood pressure and listens to baby's heartbeat. I'm fine with that because I like knowing he's doing good, everyone tells me I'm so tiny and such a small tummy that she encourages me knowing that he's healthy and growing just fine.

So - sorry about the length but if there was only 1 book you would recommend for someone who wanted a midwife but couldn't afford it and wants to stay natural what book would that be? Also - any tips you would like to just talk about here that you know newer moms usually don't know that'd be appreciated.

thank you

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MirWoo
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I started with a textbook style book called "Gentle Birth Choices" by Barbara Harper. It is evidence based and covers a lot of ground. Of course, Ina May Gaskins books are great, like "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" and "Spiritual Midwifery." As for tips, I'd say the best one is to follow your instincts. There are a lot of choices out there, and a lot of information. You've already taken a big step just by asking for help, but all in all, go with your gut and what you feel is right for you, no matter what others may say. You'll get a lot of advice, but stick to your instincts :)

kitchen.sink
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:02 PM

The above books are great! And I'd also recommend "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth," by Henci Goer. I can give you many more book suggestions... so let me know if you're interested.  :)

EthansMomma2010
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:05 PM
Why limit yourself to one book? If you ha e a library you should have access to most of these. Photo copy pages you find important or narrow in on books you want.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momma2013
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I'm not trying to limit but since I only have 10 weeks left, I work full time, LOVE my full night of sleep, and spend over an hour a day driving I don't know how much time I'll have. I'll start with the most favored one and then move on to the next and the next. I'm not as worried about caring for him as I am about what I allow the dr to do. I just really don't have any natural mommas near me that I know so it's like I'm all alone except here and what I can learn from books.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Why limit yourself to one book? If you ha e a library you should have access to most of these. Photo copy pages you find important or narrow in on books you want.

EthansMomma2010
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:20 PM
Oh I see. Ok. Good luck. I haven't read many books yet so I'm not sure what to recommend. I loves ina Mays guide to childbirth but not sure that what ur looking for.

Quoting Momma2013:

I'm not trying to limit but since I only have 10 weeks left, I work full time, LOVE my full night of sleep, and spend over an hour a day driving I don't know how much time I'll have. I'll start with the most favored one and then move on to the next and the next. I'm not as worried about caring for him as I am about what I allow the dr to do. I just really don't have any natural mommas near me that I know so it's like I'm all alone except here and what I can learn from books.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:23 PM
Dr. Sears' books are fantastic. He is very much an advocate for natural birthing and parenting, but gives you info about the medical stuff, too, in a non-judgemental, honest way. And Ina May Gaskin. I read her Guide and it really shaped my birthing process. This is important stuff! Sleep a little less and read a little more!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Momma2013
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Really - I don't know exactly other than a pregnancy 101 I guess. Like I know not to allow stripping of the membranes, not to do all the ultrasounds some people are obsessed with, but I don't know how much I don't know. Like the eye drops? I don't know, Vitamin K something I've heard of? I can look up what I've randomly seen and not known here but that would take forever where I think a general coverage book would be perfect.

I have What to Expect When You're Expecting but it doesn't seem very natural but is totally open to anything... Blah! So much left to do and we still haven't started our classes, things have been so BUSY! AH!

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Oh I see. Ok. Good luck. I haven't read many books yet so I'm not sure what to recommend. I loves ina Mays guide to childbirth but not sure that what ur looking for.

Quoting Momma2013:

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

cemcnair
by Courtney on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:45 PM
Get the Bradley Method Assistant Coaches Manual for your dh!
Momma2013
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I thought Bradley Method was for dh delivering? It's not? He has already stated he's "staying north of the equator" haha. totally fine by me, I've heard some horror stories.

Quoting cemcnair:

cemcnair
by Courtney on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:51 PM
Not delivering, just coaching you. Supporting you during labor. Labor typically lasts much longer than the pushing stage :)

Quoting Momma2013:

I thought Bradley Method was for dh delivering? It's not? He has already stated he's "staying north of the equator" haha. totally fine by me, I've heard some horror stories.

Quoting cemcnair:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)