Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

9 month blood work

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:31 PM
  • 9 Replies

Dr. did routine blood work Wed. at B's 9 month checkup. I missed her call on Friday evening, so I called this morning. Her nurse called back, but couldn't tell me anything because the doctor wanted to talk to me about the results herself. The doctor won't be back until next Monday. So, basically what I get from this is there was something abnormal, but I have no clue what and get to think about it for a week. Yipee.

I know she was checking for anemia, but not really sure what else. I had Parvo (fifth disease) while pregnant, so he had a full CBC at birth that was fine, but I thought checking for anemia again now wasn't a bad idea because of that, so I didn't ask a lot of questions about it at the appointment. Now I wish I had. 

Anyone know what they usually check for at 9 mos? Beckett is a giant baby who is into everything, so I don't really think whatever it is would be too serious. After dealing with the Parvo (the worst of it being Thanksgiving last year), though, I tend to be a little paranoid with him. He's my second, but my first is 6.5 years old now, so it's almost like being a first time mom again.

Thanks! Oh, and hubs is off this week, so I might not check back as often, but I appreciate any help and will comment when I can. :-)

Charity

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:35 PM
I've learned nurses can't give you results even if everything is normal, so don't panic! Actually, I bet if there was a big concern, the dr would get back to you sooner than next week!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EthansMomma129
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:36 PM
We dont do 9 month blood work. 12 months they get a lead test and anemia cbc stuff. Mine were tested for thyroid because theyre so tiny too.
BlessingsMama
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:38 PM
Typically they check for anemia and lead poisoning. I imagine if it were serious they would tell you right away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:49 PM

In the lab where I work we just check for anemia and lead poisoning at that age if anything at all.

ashuiren
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Usually they will tell me or even leave a message if everything is normal, so something probably was unusual. I would guess he's a little anemic. The lead poisoning thing is scary, though. My house was built in 1937, so I know there has to be led somewhere under layers of paint. It's never been an issue with anyone else in the family, though, and I'm pretty careful about not doing anything to create old paint dust.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I know they check for lead at 9 months.

catholicmamamia
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Quoting BlessingsMama: Typically they check for anemia and lead poisoning. I imagine if it were serious they would tell you right away.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM

I would bet its anemia, though most doctors look for higher iron than is normal

ashuiren
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Anemia was my first thought. Parvo can cause anemia in the baby during pregnancy, and we're pretty sure that was the case with him. It seemed to have resolved by the time he was born. There isn't a whole lot of information out there about it, though, so I'm not really sure if there's any possibility of lasting effects from him having it before he was born. 

I also have a tendency to be anemic, although my iron levels were pretty good while I was pregnant with him. My periods haven't come back yet, so I would think my iron levels would still be okay, but I'm not great about remembering to take my vitamins. Since he still nurses for most of his food, I could see where his iron levels might be lower than they would want.

I do worry about the lead though. We have had to do some work on the house, but because of the age of the house we are always extra careful about containing any dust and debris.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)