Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Infant sign language

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:44 PM
  • 28 Replies

are u teaching or have u tought ur LO infant sign language?

Im starting my 6 mo First 6 signs im going with are...

Momma

Dadda

Milk (of course)

Eat

More

All done

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kaiser10123
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:52 PM
Yep! I'm doing it for my Autistic 3y/o and my new baby. I think it's important. I'm learning ASL myself...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jnw2992
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I took classes when i was younger but mostly all i remember is 90% of my abc's lol but i have the infant sign language stuff offline so i wanna try

Quoting kaiser10123:

Yep! I'm doing it for my Autistic 3y/o and my new baby. I think it's important. I'm learning ASL myself...

illegallyblonde
by Stephany on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:34 PM
I do milk and I love you. I know the others but I keep forgetting. My niece is deaf so it's important my son learn.
jnw2992
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Def good to teach ur son :)

Quoting illegallyblonde:

I do milk and I love you. I know the others but I keep forgetting. My niece is deaf so it's important my son learn.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:38 PM
I did it with my 2.5 year old starting at about 10 months. It turned out to work great because he was on the autism spectrum and didn't talk until he was closer to 2 so that helped a lot lol. I sign with my 13 month old also and started at about 9 months. She's up to about 50 signs now! My son was up to about 200 signs or more before he really started talking.

I LOVE using sign language with my kids. It gives us a connection and a way to communicate that we wouldn't otherwise have. Plus they learn so much! I really suggest the show Baby Signing Time. Not so much for your baby (until they're older) but for you lol. They really do great reinforcement with songs and images. I took a local baby/ toddler parent & child signing class but the Baby Signing Time really helped. I also would text myself words that I didn't know the sign for or write it down then go on aslpro.com and look up the sign so I could teach them. I found the dvds at the library and they might have some on Youtube also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jnw2992
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Thank u so much :)

Quoting jconney80:

I did it with my 2.5 year old starting at about 10 months. It turned out to work great because he was on the autism spectrum and didn't talk until he was closer to 2 so that helped a lot lol. I sign with my 13 month old also and started at about 9 months. She's up to about 50 signs now! My son was up to about 200 signs or more before he really started talking.

I LOVE using sign language with my kids. It gives us a connection and a way to communicate that we wouldn't otherwise have. Plus they learn so much! I really suggest the show Baby Signing Time. Not so much for your baby (until they're older) but for you lol. They really do great reinforcement with songs and images. I took a local baby/ toddler parent & child signing class but the Baby Signing Time really helped. I also would text myself words that I didn't know the sign for or write it down then go on aslpro.com and look up the sign so I could teach them. I found the dvds at the library and they might have some on Youtube also.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:47 PM

It's so enjoyable when your child can communicate with you and your not guessing all the time what they want.  Nice job.

catholicmamamia
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:21 PM

We did baby signs.. loved it! 

catholicmamamia
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Those are great signs to begin with.. :o) 

kaiser10123
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:23 PM
There's a website called www.aslpro.com if you haven't already heard of that teaches you.

Quoting jnw2992:

I took classes when i was younger but mostly all i remember is 90% of my abc's lol but i have the infant sign language stuff offline so i wanna try

Quoting kaiser10123:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)