Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Natural Birth

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:47 AM
  • 17 Replies

I am due in May & I want an all natural childbirth. I signed up for bradley classes. They start in January & I have read Ina May Gaskins guide to natural child birth. Do you ladies have any suggestions or advice for doing it the natrual way? I am afraid I will give in a get the epi bc I know its there! With my DD who is 7 I was young and got an epi and had no complications.. she came quick and easy. I am afraid my thoughts will revert back to that time and "how easy it was"

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoodyBrook
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:50 AM

If you want a "natural" childbirth, have you investigated going with a midwife rather than an OB?  General Practitioners are also more "natural" than OBs, so that might be a good second choice if you opt against a midwife...

Also, if you give birth at a birth center or in your home, the epidural is simply not available!  :)

(I'm no expert!  I'm working toward a natural VBAC in 6 weeks.  With a midwife at her birth center.  I'm excited AND terrified!).

lactatingloon
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:03 PM
Wait so long to go to the hospital that epi is not an option lol that way you dont have the opportunity to chicken out because it is very tempting lol
Mrs.Salz
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Spend most of your labor at home. It sounds like you are on the right track with your Bradley class and reading :)

I just decided that the epidural was not an option - reading about some of the risks helped me a lot.

Mrs.Salz
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:32 PM

You can also add to your birth plan that you do not want to be offered any pain medication, and request a different nurse if needed.

saral2790
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:11 PM
I'd labor mostly at home. Since this isn't your first you'll know when it's time to go to the hospital
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kitchen.sink
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:48 PM

The Bradley classes are a great idea! And I would recommend using a midwife and hiring a doula.  :)

Squirmey
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:11 PM

i think im in the begingin of labor now...I was 3 cm dialated yesterday and 80% effaced....im doing it natural...I have been studying and reading like crazy...im making a labor bracelet from beads woman I know and asked bought for me as support and I am doing hypnobirthing...I will be at the hospital and I am writing my birth plan in about an hour...its the Mongan Method ....look into it...

Precious333
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:16 PM

My suggestio are several things. One, make a birth plan to give your OB and the nursing staff. When I had my first in the hospital, as soon as I got there I said I do not want an epi...don't ask me if I want one"

Another thing is to have wheoever is with you on board with your birthing decisions. Getting a doula would help a lot!

During labor, be active.  Walk around, move, go itno positions that you feel most comfortable in. Remember your breathing techniques and visualizations.

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
louzannalady
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Henci Goer's book "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth". Remarkable, if yo are going to birth in a hospital! : ) 

mom2the.rescue
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I wanted to go natural with all 4 of mine.  I was only successful with #4, and it's b/c I labored at home.  When I'm at a hospital in pain, I'm embarrassed by whatever I need...and i can't stand the looks of pity from everyone.  I suggest looking into a birth center or a midwife that comes to your house.  It was so awesome being able to lay in my bed, walk around my house, use my toilet, eat & drink, etc. when I was in labor. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN