Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

My not-so crunchy ob/gyn experience-- VENT

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:44 PM
  • 26 Replies

I am looking for a new ob/gyn that is out of our insurance network, and I am having a really hard time. Unfortunately there are no midwives that work out of the two hospitals that are part of our network, and this was my first heartbreak :(

Well I wanted to find a smaller practice, and there were only 2 or 3, the rest have at least 8 ob/gyns, and I know I would end up with a different doctor every time I go in. So I found a doctor, a woman, who works alone, and she had good ratings and I had my appt with her today...

There were vaccine posters listed on every single wall of her office, and every door, and every corner.. And in my new patient forms there was a vaccine questionnaire that suggested if I hadn't received dTap in the last 3 years I should get the booster, and because of my age I should get guardisil. (I have been married for 3 years, and with my husband for a total of 5 years).

Then I saw a poster, I believe it was made by Huggies, that had a part talking about herbs and how they are not approved by the FDA, and what side effects they include. Such as rasperberry leaf tea during pregnancy could cause premature babies, etc..

She then asks me if my cycle is regular, and it is not because of my Mirena IUD, and I am still nursing my 20 month old daughter. I told her this, and she asked me if I am working on weaning her. I said I am letting her decide when she is ready. Who knows where she was going with that one...

Needless to say I will not be going back there. On the plus side, I got my IUD removed :) So probably will be TTC soon. I'm going to meet with a midwife that does homebirths, that I have heard nothing but good things about. I am hoping she will work with us on pricing. I just do not think there is any way I am going to have the birth I want at the hospitals in our network. 

Just a vent!!

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catholicmamamia
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Oh wow.. I would have turned around and walked right back out! 

catholicmamamia
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Good Luck TTC! 

Precious333
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this
well....atleast you dont have to deal with that ob anymore.....and I hope it works out with this midwife.....aftwr having my last two at home I never want to steo foot in a hospital again!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:48 PM

You might see which midwives take your insurance.

GL!

Mrs.Salz
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:57 PM
6 moms liked this

Glad you left!

"not approved by the FDA" is a fancy way of saying "never studied by the FDA because herbs don't bring in revenue like prescription drugs do".... really bugs me when they say that.

SAHM927
by Lesly on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I was tempted but I had driven 30 minutes with my little one, and I wanted my IUD out. Haha if I wasn't so desperate I would have!!

Quoting catholicmamamia:

Oh wow.. I would have turned around and walked right back out! 

SAHM927
by Lesly on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Funny :) I keep hearing that in this group!! I want to do it so badly. 

Quoting Precious333:

well....atleast you dont have to deal with that ob anymore.....and I hope it works out with this midwife.....aftwr having my last two at home I never want to steo foot in a hospital again!

SAHM927
by Lesly on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:08 PM

None. All midwives would be considered out of network, and in that case its a 3000$ deductible which I'm hopinh a midwife will work with me onn being less than that. 

Quoting doulala:

You might see which midwives take your insurance.

GL!

SAHM927
by Lesly on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:09 PM

YES! But I was thinking about all the drugs that are approved by the FDA and how far worse their side effects are.. but were those listed on her little walls? NOPE!!

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Glad you left!

"not approved by the FDA" is a fancy way of saying "never studied by the FDA because herbs don't bring in revenue like prescription drugs do".... really bugs me when they say that.

catholicmamamia
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:12 PM

So true! 

Quoting Mrs.Salz: "not approved by the FDA" is a fancy way of saying "never studied by the FDA because herbs don't bring in revenue like prescription drugs do".. really bugs me when they say that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)