Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Help!

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:47 PM
  • 4 Replies

I have a teething 9 month old.  The last few days when he nurses, his upper teeth are pressing into my nipple, and as a result, my nipples hurt about as bad as they did when I first started breastfeeding before they got used to the new sensation.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I am not going to be weaning, and I don't respond as well to the pump as I used to.  He's not exactly biting... only his top teeth are involved from what I can tell.

babiesbabybaby development

by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Nov. 24, 2012 at 3:29 PM

His latch could be off due to teething. Every time ds teeths his latch is horrible. I would unlatch him and latch him back on until he had the proper latch. Now if it's biting you need to start teaching nursing manners. 

sreichelt26
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 3:34 PM

This. My dd's latch gets weird whenever a new tooth comes in.

Quoting JoJoBean8:

His latch could be off due to teething. Every time ds teeths his latch is horrible. I would unlatch him and latch him back on until he had the proper latch. Now if it's biting you need to start teaching nursing manners. 

Mrs.Salz
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Have you tried tipping his head back a little more?

kailu1835
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I hadn't considered latch issues.  He's not biting, as in trying to bring his teeth together.  I got him out of that habit.  I will try to make sure his latch is right.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)