Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Help! ppl where I live are confusing me with hw do give birth?

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:59 PM
  • 33 Replies

Are there any other choices of giving birth than a hospital birth? I'm a teen mom and right nw me and my brother and the father don't know whether we want to give birth at the hospital

by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nee86
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:16 PM
Where are you? You could have a home birth or give brith in a free standing birth center.
Shaketa123
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Quoting Nee86:

Where are you? You could have a home birth or give brith in a free standing birth center.

I'm in Miami,Florida some have told me about water births and at home births but idk which one is best with the baby because my boyfriend wants me to give birth in Austrailia where he grew up

comptonkids
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:22 PM
You do not have to have a hospital birth
You can google midwives an your city
Or birth centers and your city

Depending where you are, you might have to go to another town/city to get the delivery you want as some places do not allow midwives to practice outside a hospital setting
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Shaketa123
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Quoting comptonkids:

Depending where you are, you might have to go to another town/city to get the delivery you want as some places do not allow midwives to practice outside a hospital setting

You can choose the midwife they want just hand you one

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Shop around and interview a variety of people.   Just phone them and ask if they are accepting new clients...

OBs are GREAT if you're looking for a surgical birth, and midwives are GREAT if you're looking for a vaginal birth. 

comptonkids
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:34 PM
No, they do not hand you one

The beauty of having a midwife is choosing one who connects with you, most ppl interview several before deciding on one

It's important to feel confidant and comfortable with the midwife AND with the decision to birth outside a hospital setting

Visits are more than a 30 min wait in the waiting room with a 5 min visit with an ob

Generally visits are 1 hr+ with JUST you and whomever you want to be there with you

Quoting Shaketa123:

Quoting comptonkids:

Shaketa123
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Thank You, because my brother and boyfriend don't want me taking drugs or being around machines giving birth to my first child I'll give the midwife thing a change!

Quoting comptonkids:

The beauty of having a midwife is choosing one who connects with you, most ppl interview several before deciding on one

It's important to feel confidant and comfortable with the midwife AND with the decision to birth outside a hospital setting

Visits are more than a 30 min wait in the waiting room with a 5 min visit with an ob

Generally visits are 1 hr+ with JUST you and whomever you want to be there with you

Quoting Shaketa123:

Quoting comptonkids:

comptonkids
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:41 PM
I am so happy for you that you have supportive family That encourage you to do this the way we, as women, are meant to :)

Quoting Shaketa123:

Thank You, because my brother and boyfriend don't want me taking drugs or being around machines giving birth to my first child I'll give the midwife thing a change!

Quoting comptonkids:

Quoting Shaketa123:

Quoting comptonkids:

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Also, be aware that if you have a practitioner from a large practice, there is no guarantee that he/she will be the one on call to deliver your baby!  You may have every appointment with a doctor you love, only to discover that you're giving birth on a day that s/he's not on hospital rounds...  You might wind up with a stranger delivering your baby.

Shaketa123
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Also, be aware that if you have a practitioner from a large practice, there is no guarantee that he/she will be the one on call to deliver your baby!  You may have every appointment with a doctor you love, only to discover that you're giving birth on a day that s/he's not on hospital rounds...  You might wind up with a stranger delivering your baby.

That worries me would they ever let you hirer two midwifes instead of one?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)