Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnant and doing first homebirth, need advice.

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 3:01 PM
  • 20 Replies

After two years of trying my DH and I are pregnant!! I was wondering what you did about your OB? My annual check up is this month and I haven't setup an appointment yet because I am afraid of what my OB will say about me not using her and using a midwife. I am also afraid of what she will say about a homebirth. Any advice? I sure could use some support! :)

~Jen~ Group Owner of Bringing Birth Home.    http://www.cafemom.com/group/116103                                     

I am a home birthing, breastfeeding, midwife using, cloth diapering, delayed cord cutting, natural birthing type of mama!!

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 3:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have an OB and don't do annual check ups so no personal experience.... but most women don't see an OB until 12 weeks anyway so she might not say anything.

I might tell her you're undecided or just be upfront.

pink_angel85
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I totally understand where you are coming from. I'm not in exactly the same boat but my husband and I are trying for baby #2 and I plan on doing a natural birth with a midwife and a doula. I have the same exact questions reguarding this same thing. If there is anyone else in this group who can help me and this other mom out with some answers that would be great! It might help give us piece of mind as to what kinds of things to expect, how to handle pain etc during labor, and just tell us what it is like going this route.

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

and congrats on the bfp :)

tansyflower
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

hmmm.  i never had an ob.  just a midwife.  she could order everything from bloodwork to an ultrasound so i didnt need to deal with an ob at all.  have you asked your midwife about this?  you might not even need one!

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I was just thinking.... most midwives can do everything an OB would do at a normal physical unless you're high risk. So you may not need to see your OB at all.

DragonX
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I ditched my OB, personally. I go to my midwife for everything... except when I needed surgery for a super painful and large ovarian cyst a few weeks ago, I went crawling back, since midwives can't do surgery. No one cared that I hadn't been there in years and had had a baby in the meantime :)

Cbreland07
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Honestly I didn't tell my dr I was home birthing.. I went the first time to secure a backup plan and be a "patient" of his then I never went back and had my sweet son on the floor in my living room ;)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cbreland07
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 6:43 PM
Most midwives make you have a birth plan and a birth plan b (if a dr is needed) its good to go to the first visit just to be set up as a patient in case anything happens. With my second I didn't go at all and ending up having a section all the while I'm going in and out of consciousness with the nurses hounding me to sign this and answer that. With my third I got my dr (plan b) set up and just never went back after the first visit. They don't care if they see you every month as long as you're on file. Thankfully I didn't have to use my plan b ;)

Quoting pink_angel85:

I totally understand where you are coming from. I'm not in exactly the same boat but my husband and I are trying for baby #2 and I plan on doing a natural birth with a midwife and a doula. I have the same exact questions reguarding this same thing. If there is anyone else in this group who can help me and this other mom out with some answers that would be great! It might help give us piece of mind as to what kinds of things to expect, how to handle pain etc during labor, and just tell us what it is like going this route.

Cbreland07
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I just had my home birth 3 months ago so feel free to message me if you have any questions.. Haha it's all still pretty fresh for me ;)

Quoting Cbreland07:

Most midwives make you have a birth plan and a birth plan b (if a dr is needed) its good to go to the first visit just to be set up as a patient in case anything happens. With my second I didn't go at all and ending up having a section all the while I'm going in and out of consciousness with the nurses hounding me to sign this and answer that. With my third I got my dr (plan b) set up and just never went back after the first visit. They don't care if they see you every month as long as you're on file. Thankfully I didn't have to use my plan b ;)

Quoting pink_angel85:

Brandy85412
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I would just make an appointment with the midwife and skip the ob. Congratulations on the pregnancy! And Yay home birth!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)