Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My mother's take on my intact baby boy

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 4:56 PM
  • 43 Replies

I have 2 sons who are circumcised, but decided during this last pregnancy that i absolutely would not circumcise my new little guy.  My mother has made it clear that she thinks it's disgusting & even told me that he would grow up to hate me.  I pretty much just ignored the comments b/c arguing with her would accomplish nothing.  Solomon was born this past Thursday (my little turkey baby!!).  Mom has the flu & hasn't met him yet....On the phone last night, I was telling her all about the labor & delivery and said, "Oh and by the way, his penis is , quite frankly, adorable".  She says, "Oh, I'm so glad you decided to circumcise him!"  When I told her he was still intact, she actually suggested he would grow up to need therapy!!  Seriously?!  How ridiculous is that??

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 4:59 PM
2 moms liked this
Oh wow! She must not understand what circumcision actually entails. My DF is circumcised and when he found out what was taken from him, he was NOT thankful!
Congrats mama on your little turkey boy! :) :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:06 PM
Awe, I'm sorry your moms so rude about it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kcrogue
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Congrats on baby boy and deciding to keep him intact. Of all the things to need therapy for, wow. It's about 50/50 with boys now isn't it? Therapist should be doing good. I'll admit my husband suggested it would have been easier for him had he been circumcised but that what his mother had always said. (He was adopted and to old to be when they got him.) Still what a thing to get upset about. Can't say my mother totally agreed but there was never an cross words. Sorry you have to deal with that. 

Momma2013
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Good choice! I'm glad you find your sons penis adorable too! I mean it's not gross, no stitches, no oozing or anything and no special care, what better way to have a penis than the natural way?!?!? :)

Question - why did you decide against it if you already had 2 that were? I really like hearing other people's opinions on changing after already circ'ing previous boys.

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Wow :(

Maybe she feels defensive or guilty about having your brothers circumcised? (if you have any)

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:24 PM
Well, if he ends up only needing "therapy" because you left him intact, then you did a good job as a parent. LOL.

Congratulations on your new little one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:35 PM
2 moms liked this
Congratulations!

And honestly, I'd consider having a talk with her about keeping her opinions to herself, your sons' penises are really not her concern anyway. But if she starts making comments like that around him, that could have a serious effect on his self esteem and THAT could put him in therapy. Seriously.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
almondpigeon
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:50 PM

When I was pregnant with son#1, I was very young (21)...I remember thinking that circumcision was cruel, but I never thought to NOT have him circumcised.  His dad is circ'd, so that was that.  When son#2 came along (4 years ago), I started researching it & decided it was horrible.  However, by that time, I already had 1 circ'd son and a circ'd husband.  I debated with myself, but ultimately allowed it.  I have felt so guilty about it.  When I found out I was having another boy, I decided there was no way I was going to allow it again.  My husband was less resistent than I thought he would be.  I have been amazed by people's responses when they found out I planned on leaving him intact.  I live in the south & I think the circ rates are still astoundingly high here.  Even my nurse @ the hospital encouraged me to reconsider.

Quoting Momma2013:

Good choice! I'm glad you find your sons penis adorable too! I mean it's not gross, no stitches, no oozing or anything and no special care, what better way to have a penis than the natural way?!?!? :)

Question - why did you decide against it if you already had 2 that were? I really like hearing other people's opinions on changing after already circ'ing previous boys.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:14 PM

I;m sorry. I told my mom I would never circ another boy and she told me that's disgusting.

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Congrats on the boy, sorry about your mom. I went through a ton of shirt right before my oldest was born and till he was released from the NICU (born preterm). Luckily I followed my gut and said no with both of my sons and their (circed) father didnt fight me on it. 

If anything is going to lead to therapy it will be getting circed, my fiance the father of my boys is cired was as a baby even though he was practically a micro preemie. Honestly when I first started talking about it he had no idea what the difference was and didnt know he was cired :(  no one ever talked to him about it. He was so upset about it and that they gambled with his life. Its part of the reason he is in therapy now and has no relationship with his parents. Oh and they called my a bad mom for not having our oldest done and threatened to take him from both of us cause if it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)