Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

My mother's take on my intact baby boy

Posted by   + Show Post

I have 2 sons who are circumcised, but decided during this last pregnancy that i absolutely would not circumcise my new little guy.  My mother has made it clear that she thinks it's disgusting & even told me that he would grow up to hate me.  I pretty much just ignored the comments b/c arguing with her would accomplish nothing.  Solomon was born this past Thursday (my little turkey baby!!).  Mom has the flu & hasn't met him yet....On the phone last night, I was telling her all about the labor & delivery and said, "Oh and by the way, his penis is , quite frankly, adorable".  She says, "Oh, I'm so glad you decided to circumcise him!"  When I told her he was still intact, she actually suggested he would grow up to need therapy!!  Seriously?!  How ridiculous is that??

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 4:56 PM
Replies (21-30):
peaches_04
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:55 AM
Tell her god made that little boy beautiful and perfect who are we to change that
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
junebaby11
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:02 AM
Im so glad im in uk its doesnt happen here as often =) but im suremy family in north carolina will try and inform me on how i should circ if i have a little boy i wont though df is intact and thats how it should be imo
VintageWife
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:35 AM
OMgosh...she's off her rocker, bless her heart (<---southern sarcasm). I don't know why she feels so strongly about it. I have two circ'd and the next won't be. I imagine if your son feels he's been wronged, he'll go get it circ'd later in life. It's not like he could uncirc one though!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TattoodMommy19
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:35 AM
Thats uncalled for
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momma2013
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:24 AM

That'd piss me off about the nurse but it is what it is, you have a healthy little boy who is WHOLE! I need to arm myself with a bunch of rude comments to make to people like that. It just upsets me that they can't just respect your wishes. Their little two cents don't matter especially since they just do whatever their books and professors teach them.

Glad you made your own decision and even more so that dh supported you!

Quoting almondpigeon:

When I was pregnant with son#1, I was very young (21)...I remember thinking that circumcision was cruel, but I never thought to NOT have him circumcised.  His dad is circ'd, so that was that.  When son#2 came along (4 years ago), I started researching it & decided it was horrible.  However, by that time, I already had 1 circ'd son and a circ'd husband.  I debated with myself, but ultimately allowed it.  I have felt so guilty about it.  When I found out I was having another boy, I decided there was no way I was going to allow it again.  My husband was less resistent than I thought he would be.  I have been amazed by people's responses when they found out I planned on leaving him intact.  I live in the south & I think the circ rates are still astoundingly high here.  Even my nurse @ the hospital encouraged me to reconsider.

Quoting Momma2013:

Good choice! I'm glad you find your sons penis adorable too! I mean it's not gross, no stitches, no oozing or anything and no special care, what better way to have a penis than the natural way?!?!? :)

Question - why did you decide against it if you already had 2 that were? I really like hearing other people's opinions on changing after already circ'ing previous boys.

N_maricle
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:07 AM
My husband is the same... Once he learned about the procedure and how most of the nerve endings are in the foreskin, he wished he wasn't circumsized. Also he feels they removed bit too much skin as well, and it get uncomfortable tight when he is hard.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Oh wow! She must not understand what circumcision actually entails. My DF is circumcised and when he found out what was taken from him, he was NOT thankful!

Congrats mama on your little turkey boy! :) :)

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:36 AM
He gets painful erections sometimes too, it's so sad that he thought it was completely normal. :(

Quoting N_maricle:

My husband is the same... Once he learned about the procedure and how most of the nerve endings are in the foreskin, he wished he wasn't circumsized. Also he feels they removed bit too much skin as well, and it get uncomfortable tight when he is hard.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Oh wow! She must not understand what circumcision actually entails. My DF is circumcised and when he found out what was taken from him, he was NOT thankful!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
N_maricle
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah my husband never realized it until we researched circumcision... Our first son was circ, but then a friend of mine had her son and they blotched his circ. so I started researching the dangers, which lead me to the info about how uncut men have more enjoyable sex, etc.
At first I was nervous that ds2 would grow up mad that I didn't circumsized him like his older brother. Now I'm thinking ds1 is they one who might regret begin circumsized! Who knows... I'm just glad he didn't have comPlications from it, hopefully none present themselves as he reached adulthood tho.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

He gets painful erections sometimes too, it's so sad that he thought it was completely normal. :(

Quoting N_maricle:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

hillybean1985
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I highly recomeend u play her one of those youtube videos that show babies actual reaction to circ'ing.. that would change her mind real quick if she loves ur boys
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:56 PM
I was the opposite. I got made fun of for always having at least a t-shirt on my little ones.

Quoting Nicolle_09:

lol ya some things are amusing, I got flak all the time over the summer for letting my baby stay in a diaper all day and night. 

Quoting polkaspots:

What your fiancé's mom said is so terrible it actually kind of amusing. Some people have very strange ideas of what child abuse really is. I was walking with my 9month old a few weeks ago and some lady told me that he was going to catch his death without mittens on and that I was cruel person who shouldn't be trusted with babies. I decided not to tell her that the only reason he didn't have mittens on was because he had soaked them up with baby slobber five minutes after we had walked out the door.

Quoting Nicolle_09:

Congrats on the boy, sorry about your mom. I went through a ton of shirt right before my oldest was born and till he was released from the NICU (born preterm). Luckily I followed my gut and said no with both of my sons and their (circed) father didnt fight me on it. 

If anything is going to lead to therapy it will be getting circed, my fiance the father of my boys is cired was as a baby even though he was practically a micro preemie. Honestly when I first started talking about it he had no idea what the difference was and didnt know he was cired :(  no one ever talked to him about it. He was so upset about it and that they gambled with his life. Its part of the reason he is in therapy now and has no relationship with his parents. Oh and they called my a bad mom for not having our oldest done and threatened to take him from both of us cause if it. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)