Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Daughter Has Thrush

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:29 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hi ladies,

My daughter has had thrush for the past month and I have been using the Nystatin oral suspension prescribed and they even gave me the ointment to put on my nipples since I'm breastfeeding. It's not getting any worse, but it's not going away completely either. Have any of you tried something different that worked?

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:35 PM

gentian violet, it needs to be used in babies mouth and on your nipples. It will stain anything and everything purple though. I have no personal experience with it but I know some of the ladies in here do and can tell you more about it, oh and also start taking probiotics. 

melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:10 PM
Genetian violet. Just paint it on your Nipple.then latch baby on. Use it once a day or when the purple fades.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Here is where to find thrush resources.  My friend and fellow IBCLC wrote this article, with great info on thrush. And here is info on using gentian violet, by Dr Jack Newman.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:12 PM

hope it goes away soon!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Nystatin is AWFUL full of sugar, vinegar wash on nipples, Genetian violet and some diflucan for you because by now its systemic I am sure.

Diamondblue1
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:02 PM
Does she bottle feed also? Try giving her water to flush some of it out and see what happens i don't know if it will work but it won't hurt to try:) i hope she gets better keep using the antibiotic to.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)