Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

all natural childbirth w/1st baby?

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:43 PM
  • 60 Replies

Hi, i am pregnant w/our 1st baby and im really set on having a naturally birth (of course if the circumstances allow.) i recently let my doctor know how strongly i felt about it. she said she has delieved at natural births and said it was not new to her, BUT that "99% of her patients" telling her they want no drugs at all have changed their mind at the end. she said usually ppl who had natural were 2nd pregnancys. basically, she explained w/1st pregnancies labor typically last longer and may cause more pain. so i shouldnt be discouraged if i want the drugs. i understand from her experience she is just telling me the facts...but it sounds like she doubts i will make it through. that makes me wanna do it even more to prove to her i can! but of course in the back of my mind, hearing that, i'm starting to doubt myslef...just a little. and i was hoping to hear some stories from some mom's who made it through their 1st pregnancy all natural, like i am hoping to do.  :)

Thanks!

*Jessica*

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lactatingloon
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this
My ob told me the same thing actually he said "yeah ok, anyway..." Lol but I did end up doing it med free. Even when I was dialated to an 8 he said "you still have time to get the epidheral" a lot of the ladies on here have had home births or natural birthing center births with midwives and I will definitely be going the midwife route with baby number two. There's nothing wrong with giving birth with an ob if that is what you're comfortable with just know going in that your doubts will be played on and they will be dishing out drug lingo. You have no reason to doubt yourself this is what your body was built to do! You'll do wonderfully!
MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:57 PM
My first labor was all natural. I can't even tell you how long I was in labor. From first contraction to birth it was maybe 23 hours but I was only at the birth center for 6 hours before she was born.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:00 PM
4 moms liked this
I was natural the first time.

Step one is truly understanding what "all natural" really means. Most think no pain medications is all this entails. Truly natural means no interventions at all. No induction! An average Mom is begging to be induced and the doctor is more than happy to oblige. This means waaayyyyy longer in the hospital controlled environment, confinement to bed, monitors, iv, unnatural levels of what is already great pain, etc etc. Add to that the pain relief guy is rightthere....

If you really want natural, you CAN! Start educating yourself and learning to stand up for yourself. I'm this culture it's a fight, but doable.
Also look for a more supportive doctor, or abirth center/home birth as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:07 PM
2 moms liked this
I got a lot of that negativity from the OB group I went to and the nurse who I had for my labor and delivery. I had a high risk pregnancy, so I couldn't switch to anyone else. I would express that I wanted a drug free labor and it was always met with "the medications are available whenever you want to change your mind". I learned to just smile and nod.
My labor and delivery nurse offered me staydol when I was in the transition part of labor. I remember telling her that that stuff doesn't work and she kept offering it. I ignored her and focused on my labor.
My best advice to you is to educate yourself on how to relax and focus during labor, if you want a drug free labor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:08 PM
4 moms liked this
I had my first baby naturally! :) I'm pregnant with #2 now and will deliver this baby the same way.

Key to my success:

1. Hypnobirthing

2. Self education

3. Kick ass birthing team including super supportive cousin, dh and a DOULA

4. HIRE A DOULA

5. Seriously. A doula.

Part of my plan was to labor at home as long as possible - my goal was to be 8cm when I got to the hospital, so it would be too late for an epi and there was no need for pit. That's exactly what I did. I also just made up my mind to take whatever the experience would be in stride. It's all temporary and worth the final outcome. And women have been doing it for millions of years in all kinds of conditions. Birth is nothing new or scary. It's all totally normal. You can do it!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol :D I like 4&5

Quoting TTC2Long:

I had my first baby naturally! :) I'm pregnant with #2 now and will deliver this baby the same way.

Key to my success:

1. Hypnobirthing

2. Self education

3. Kick ass birthing team including super supportive cousin, dh and a DOULA

4. HIRE A DOULA

5. Seriously. A doula.

Part of my plan was to labor at home as long as possible - my goal was to be 8cm when I got to the hospital, so it would be too late for an epi and there was no need for pit. That's exactly what I did. I also just made up my mind to take whatever the experience would be in stride. It's all temporary and worth the final outcome. And women have been doing it for millions of years in all kids of conditions. Birth is nothing new or scary. It's all totally normal. You can do it!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:14 PM
3 moms liked this

First or twelfth, if health & safety are your priority then avoiding unnecessary risks is very important!
:-)

There are many things you can do to successfully have a safe & enjoyable experience without risks/drugs.     To start though, would definitely be to use a truly supportive care provider.
    Why not use a normal brtih expert rather than a hight-risk doctor/surgeon?

Rhiannon92
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:16 PM
3 moms liked this

That is sad that she doesn't have more confidence in you.

I got pregnant at 17, gave birth at 18. No drugs. No complications, no tearing. Been breastfeeding, co-sleeping and cloth diapering for 2+ years now, all while working and going to school ( except for those first few months ;) ).
You can do anything you set your mind to. I truly believe with the right support and encouragement, more women would realize just how much they are capable of. You can do it!!

Rhiannon92
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh yes, and my labor was about 12 hours and he was posterior so I had back labor, which is supposedly even more painful? lol, I wouldn't know the difference. I don't even remember the pain now. I would do it a 100 times over for any child of mine.

shortlilartist
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this

thanks. i am taking a hypnobirthing class which i love so far. and i am pretty determined so i hope i can just stand up for myself. my husband is on board and i know he will support me and speak up for me when needed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)