Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you value where your dollar goes when you spend it?
I've always been a BUG supported of local and small businesses, I refuse to shop at Walmart or sams club, I avoid Nestlé. And now I'm starting to learn how evil amazon is, like on a BIG scale.
As much as I can I only shop at places that I believe do our country and economy good. I'm just feeling a little discouraged like I'm the only one out there that shops with businesses' ethics and the immediate economy in mind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:04 PM
Replies (11-20):
catholicmamamia
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Most definitely! 

Quoting jellyphish: Anyway, thanks, its nice to know I'm in good company!

VintageWife
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM

<----Shops local but loves Sam's Club :(

FebPenguins
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Uh oh, better tell me what you know about amazon....

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:02 AM
Ugh are you sure?

Well, lets put aside the fact that they are putting small businesses out of business just by being there (it's Walmart on the Internet).
They won't pay taxes. Apparently they owe $1 billion in taxes, that's money that could be used for education etc, and is a reason why taxes keep going up.
They avoid taxes to the point where they will close amazon centers when the state approaches them about it, thus raising unemployment; and refuse to work with small companies whose relationship would cause them to pay taxes.
They fire workers who want to unionize.
They are not looking out for the customers, their workers, small businesses, the economy, the general welfare of the country; they are ruining these things.

Quoting FebPenguins:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
junebaby11
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:09 AM
But how? Because i order off of amazon in the uk i dont know if its different but amazon has all kinds of little shops that sell too, like i bought of of amazon but it was from dome other place not from amaxon if that makes sense

Quoting jellyphish:

Ugh are you sure?

Well, lets put aside the fact that they are putting small businesses out of business just by being there (it's Walmart on the Internet).
They won't pay taxes. Apparently they owe $1 billion in taxes, that's money that could be used for education etc, and is a reason why taxes keep going up.
They avoid taxes to the point where they will close amazon centers when the state approaches them about it, thus raising unemployment; and refuse to work with small companies whose relationship would cause them to pay taxes.
They are not looking out for the customers, their workers, small businesses, the economy, the general welfare of the country; they are ruining these things.

Quoting FebPenguins:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:30 AM
Yeah they do third party selling. Provided, of course, they can butt rape them financially and get out of taxes.
Like I said, this is new info to me and I'm still researching, but a quick search on ap pulled up an article about how amazon, Starbucks, google, and... another big co whose name is slipping me owe a TON of back taxes to the uk and they're all refusing to pay them and trying to get out of it.

Quoting junebaby11:

But how? Because i order off of amazon in the uk i dont know if its different but amazon has all kinds of little shops that sell too, like i bought of of amazon but it was from dome other place not from amaxon if that makes sense

Quoting jellyphish:

Ugh are you sure?

Quoting FebPenguins:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I agree that's why I do it also, it's just so much cheaper.

Quoting larissalarie:

Great job doing your part! I'm guilty of shopping at the big stores too often because of my financial limits.

KSK0811
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Unfortunately, I can't afford to shop locally. We live in a small, liberal arts college town (tuition is $46k/year), so our small businesses cater more to that crowd than the locals. When working for a few of these businesses I saw how catering for the wealthier crowd hurt their business overall, but the owners never saw it that way. I don't understand why you would build your prices around individuals and families that aren't here year round.

FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

My dh and I just watched "Capitalism: a love story". I know a lot of people don't like Michael Moore, but we do.  We both work retail for Target, I also volunteer at our local Co-op.  After watching it, I've really decided that we need to seek out better options.  I've decided that we are going to try and buy as much as we can second hand, real recycling.  Our local Salvation Army chapters offer 50% off certain color ticketed clothes on Weds. I bought barely worn, no stains whatsoever clothes for myself (2 sweaters, 3 shirts, pants, sweater, skirt, and dress) a work shirt for dh, and some movies to give ds for christmas. $27 total. I don't like the way they smell like a mix of cigs and cheap perfume, but I just wash them.  We also do most of our shopping for food at local farmers markets and the co-op now. It's not cheap, but it's not feeding into a fat bonus for someone. 

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:11 PM

We buy from small business when we can.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)