Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

What do natural parents think of the Elf?

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:50 AM
  • 46 Replies
The Elf on a Shelf. What's your take? Good? Bad? Love? Hate?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RheaF
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:51 AM
2 moms liked this
Creepy,lol. My DD would never sleep if we had that.
danichaos
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:01 AM
^lol!!!

He's cute, but not for us
Char07
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Strongly dislike the idea of telling my kids to be good because some elf is watching, they are expected to do things for real reasons so I also don't do Santa is watching at all and have to stop dh and all my relatives from doing it all the time :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:25 AM

freaks me the hell out. 

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:31 AM

If you do it just for fun and not so  the kids are good  then I like it.  We've never done it though.

melindabelcher
by mel on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this
We dont like it. My children are expected to behave appropriately all year round. dh had to fight me long and hard to even do santa but our agreement was that we would never use santa bringing gifts as a bribe for good behavior. It irks me to no end to hear parents using the "you better stop or santa won't bring you anything" card.

The elf hiding and moving around looks cute but I don't like the message it sends
jnw2992
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:52 AM
2 moms liked this

I do it with my 3 1/2 yo but its not the whole "better be go" thing we tell her that u can tell the elf what to bring for the kids who dont have anything this year... and she just loves finding him each morning

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:00 AM
I'm not completely certain exactly what it is, but I'm thinking I would be opposed to it since I refuse to lie to my kids about Santa...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FebPenguins
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I like the idea of it, but we struggle with "monsters" right now. Not a good idea for us.

corbysmom531
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:42 AM

My five year old doesn't believe in Santa.  He goes back and forth, but we tell him he's pretend, and he's okay with that.  That being said, he loves the Elf on the Shelf thing.  We don't do it, but a friend of ours does.  All they do is see the weird places he ends up, he's not "watching" them.  I think it all depends on how you do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)