Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

What do natural parents think of the Elf?

Posted by   + Show Post
The Elf on a Shelf. What's your take? Good? Bad? Love? Hate?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:50 AM
Replies (41-46):
haleykj
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 4:52 AM
Lmao! I have never seen the elf but if I do it I will just use a homemade one or something.

Quoting SarineLewis:

I've never read up on it, but I think the doll is ugly.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gingerella
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I simply read the box and HATED it from that second. It basically says something about how the Elf is watching the kids to report back to Santa and the kids can talk to the Elf and you can overhear. I disagree with just about everything it stands for....and I do Santa. First off I don't need to manipulate my kids with an Elf who I pretend becomes animate to get good behavior. They are expected to behave all year....no, Santa is watching you stuff. I want my kids to talk to me, not an Elf. As for his naughty pranks, um, why should he get to be naughty when I expect my kids to behave? I'm teaching them that Elf naughty behavior is funny? I don't get it.  If they went around writing on picture frames, etc then they would have consequences. Like I said, I pretty much don't like any part of it...well, the hide and seek to find him in the morning might be fun but not with the notion that he suddenly became an animate object and moved himself. 

Believe me, this has nothing to do with my kids lack of imagination or ability to believe in magic and the impossible. I bought my middle daughter The Velveteen Rabbit this year and it's a story about a bunny that becomes animate of course. But not to report back to anyone or for her to share her secrets with instead of her Mum. 

Also, it sounds like hard work, haha. I can't even remember to be the tooth fairy (yes, we even do a tooth fairy). 

amazzonia
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I read it on Wikipedia thanks...we don't need another Christmas thing, but is cute 

IQuoting haleykj:

He helps to watch the kids so Santa knows if they were good, basically. Ts a little stuffed elf and most doo g it have a whole little cute setup for him wherever he sits the kids are SUPPOSED to be excited about the elf though that's the idea behind it.

Quoting amazzonia:

Can some one explain the elf on the shelf to me?

Raeann11
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 11:17 AM

We just did it for the first time this year. My girls love to find elfie every morning. It is all in fun. 

Acarroll21
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 11:17 AM
I love the idea! Cant wait til DD gets into the whole Santa thing:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:44 PM

We do it. I think it's cute. My 5 yr old already thinks Santa sees all so no harm with the elf. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)