Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

UC books?

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:04 AM
  • 27 Replies

I want to weigh all my options, we do not have a birth center nearby, its over an hour away! SO its homebirth with the one midwife nearby or its UC.  I kinda want to UC but I dunno kinda worried since i have never even had a natural birth so....

What books are there out there about UC and how to prepare?  I have read some natural birth books and done alot of research and I KNOW I want to go that route without a doubt and I know I can...4 vaginal births no hbp no gd no complications already.

by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RheaF
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:06 AM
What is UC?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Unassisted childbirth

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:35 AM

It's always good to educate your self but since you have never had a natural birth I would suggest one with a midwife. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Well in NC we are having and aawful time with midwives and licensure.  I could get my midwife all arranged and then her not be able to attend because of license issues.  This has happened multiple times(though I think she showed up illegally)  

I know multiple women who have never had even a vaginal birth but UC.  I have had 4 vaginal births...went into labor with all 4 on my own.  Each was augmented for different reasons with pit.  The first 3 I was lied to about why an epidural was needed...SIGH

Quoting Sarah725:

It's always good to educate your self but since you have never had a natural birth I would suggest one with a midwife. 

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this

There is a manual called "Emergency Childbirth: a Manual" by Gregory White, M.D.   See if you can get your hands on it...  (I'm due in a month and have a 70 mile drive to the birth center in the dead of winter once in labor.  We're not wanting an UC, but hopefully this will help us better prepare!)

lundaylove
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:17 PM
1 mom liked this

girl you CAN do it. i had never had a natural birth before having Cami unassisted, and mine was a vbac.... if i can do it, anyone can! 

education is key and i just happen to have a LOT of knowledge on unassisted birth =)

there are very little information out there on UC specifics. Books are even fewer. The key to study is to know birth. get your hands on and read anything and everything pertaining to birth itself, homebirth and then unassisted birth. 

two books specifically on UC are:

Unassisted Homebirth: An Act of Love - by Lynn Griesemer
Unassisted Childbirth - by Laura Shanley 

and remember my notes on fb-
https://www.facebook.com/notes/stephanie-lunday/preparing-for-an-unassisted-birth/10150122586326042
https://www.facebook.com/notes/stephanie-lunday/unassisted-childbirth-links-stories-etc/490543206041 

Steph! ~ Birth Doula and Mom to micropreemie twin girls, Alayna and Riley (5), a vbac boy,Logan (3) and our unassisted home waterbirth (2nd vbac) firecracker baby, Cambree Elizabeth (1)  ~Wife to a US Navy Corpsman, Joshua

catholicmamamia
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 1:50 AM

BUMP for UCers.... :o) 

peaches_04
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 5:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Its always good to be prepared for a uc wether you plan on having one or not
Good luck and congrats again
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Trailerparkmom
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 5:51 AM
2 moms liked this

I had a UC with my first (and only) birth.  You can do it too!  (if you want to)  

I like:  

http://www.cafemom.com/group/2212/forums/read/12886898/Preparing_for_an_Unassisted_Birth

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/index.html

Heart and Hands

Emergency Childbirth by Gregory White.  I have the pdf I can e mail you if you are interested.  

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Dec. 1, 2012 at 7:02 AM
Quoting tabi_cat1023:

its amazing you have had so many vaginal deliveries, you rock!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)