Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Depression?

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:48 AM
  • 11 Replies

Does anyone know any natural ways to treat depression i keep refusing to go back n meds. because of breastfeeding my dd, but my depression is getting really bad. Last night i slept in my guest room because my husband wanted to cuddle and i didnt want to be touched :(

Breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural feeding, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, catholic momma of 2 wonderful girls

by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:03 AM
I'm someone will come along with better suggestions :-)
I just know that eating a healthy diet and exercising daily is good for mental health.

Also it IS safe to take your medication while breastfeeding if it comes down to that. And you should also know that just because something is natural doesn't necessarily mean it's safe while bf.

Feel better soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raeann11
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:45 AM

This is things that have helped me in the past. 

Exercise - even if it was walking around the house for 10 mins

Sitting in the window every day for 15-20 mins. Even when cloudy. 

Getting up and taking a shower

Getting dressed every day. In something that makes me feel pretty. 

Fixing my bed

Getting my vitamins

Fixing my hair - I love doing my hair. 

Doing your make up if you like to wear make up. I am not a big one on makeup so it seemed more like a chore and left it out. 

But when it is bad enough. I will go on medicine. I don't like too to. But at times you just have to. I am trying to think what else there is I do. 

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:33 PM
Supplementation is often helpful. Things like a b12 deficiency, or vid d deficiency can cause depression. You could try a multivitamin and see of that helps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KSK0811
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I've always struggled with depression and showering, getting dressed, at least brusing my hair, and putting on some makeup was a MUST daily. Also, go outside. If it's too cold for kids, wait until SO/DH gets home and take a walk around your yard or down the street--this should not be an argument or even a discussion. If things like this don't work or take the edge off, meds might be the best option. You'll get through this. Hugs.

JNLmomme09
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I thought prim rose was supposed to be a good.  when I was diagnosted with depression I didnt want to go on drugs either my mom told me that Dr. Phill has a list of vitamins that he says woudl help. The other thing that I found helpful was taking my prenatals even after I was pregnant 

kirita323
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Get out of the house and around other people. I make jewelry and that saves me too. But mostly getting away from the baby and creating something new. And stay busy. Have a normal sleep schedule, go to sleep and get up at the same times every day.

jnw2992
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I have noone to wait my 7mo because she freaks out and will scream for hours till im back. and there are days i dont wanna get out of bed and i just cant im numb and the bed is the only thing i want

Quoting kirita323:

Get out of the house and around other people. I make jewelry and that saves me too. But mostly getting away from the baby and creating something new. And stay busy. Have a normal sleep schedule, go to sleep and get up at the same times every day.

Breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural feeding, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, catholic momma of 2 wonderful girls

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Even if it's on the phone, it's good to have contact with someone at least once per day.  (Even if it's the pizza delivery gal!)

mjrex87
by Mindy on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Can you take LOs with you? I always feel better when I get out of the house. Even just going over to a friends house, it doesn't have to be anything special. Or running to the store, even if it's just for one thing. It breaks up the day and gives you something to think about other than the mundane everyday things around the house. Exercising your mind is a MUST. 

Plus, what the other ladies have already mentioned. I have started feeling a tiny bit better since taking a B complex vitamin. You could consider having blood work done to check for vitamin deficiency or a hormone imbalance. Both are very common postpartum and during breastfeeding. I had labs done several months ago and found out my vit d levels were really low and that I have a thyroid disorder. I think it's definitely worth the time to have your levels checked postpartum. Especially if depression is the issue.

Quoting jnw2992:

I have noone to wait my 7mo because she freaks out and will scream for hours till im back. and there are days i dont wanna get out of bed and i just cant im numb and the bed is the only thing i want

Quoting kirita323:

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I have heard about taking niacin(sp?)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)