Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Normal hemoglobin and other CBC questions *Update*

Posted by   + Show Post

I have the results from my son's 9 month CBC. The hemoglobin was 11, so not far from the range it shows they were looking for (11.3-14.1). In a kellymom article, though, I saw 10.2 mentioned as normal, so now I'm wondering what is really normal and what is cause for concern. Either way, I'm thinking all he's fine and as long as he's getting breastmilk and healthy solids I probably don't need to give him iron supplements.

The reason she wanted him retested was because his neutrophils were 562 instead of 1500-8500 and his monocytes were 1986 instead of 200-1000. I have no idea what that really means. I only saw his nurse today for the new blood draw, plus I didn't have the numbers yet, so I didn't really ask a lot of questions. Now I'm home wondering how much I should worry until I hear back from them, lol

Everything was normal in the second wbc count. His hemoglobin was a little lower, but not enough to make much difference. :-)

by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM
Replies (11-11):
SAHM927
by Lesly on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:20 AM

At my DD's 1 year she was also at an 11. I don't think they were too concerned about this, but her cells were slightly pale. So that's when they said it was apparent that she was borderline anemic. However, all we did was give her more iron enriched foods (NO SUPPLEMENTS!) and by her 18 months she was right where she needed to be. I want to say the neutrophils and monocyctes together need to be in a certain range combined, and if they are then there is no issue. DD had the same thing, I am just trying to rememeber if these were the two things. If I remember correctly that is the whiteblood count.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)