Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting
I'm due in 2 weeks and totally getting anxiety about having a hospital birth. I have a solid birth plan that my doc is on board with, a great dh, not going to the hospital until transitional labour, but im just freaking out! I don't want to be there! I have NO midwives in the area, the closest ones are 3 hrs away, and I don't think it's responsible to decide last minute with no extensive research to do an unassisted birth. The hospital is great and baby friendly, I had m dd there. I just don't know why I'm so anxious. My doc is amazing... But left for vaca and I have a new girl whom I've met once delivering. Sorry to ramble.

I swear my stress is putting off labour. Can anyone ease my fears? Good hospital stories!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Replies (11-20):
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Yeah i think you're right. I didn't think it would bother me, but I'm feeling a lot of stress over it. Unfortunately she's gone until feb! That sucks about your midwife :(. It's amazing the kind if relationship you can build with someone who's practically a stranger.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

I understand why you'd be nervous to deliver, as the doc you've built a trusting relationship with  is on vacation.  How long will she be away?  Is there a chance she'll be back in time, as you have two weeks left to go?

Can you make a special appointment with the new gal just to get to know her better?  Keeping our minds at ease is a huge step in having a successful birth...

Good Luck, mama!

(P.S.  I was just told at my 34 week appointment that the midwife is having major surgery and won't likely be able to attend my birth.  I FREAKED out!  Seriously!  This is a woman I've built a relationship with over the past two pregnancies and now all that is down the tubes!  And they wonder why my sleep patterns are so terrible and my BP is getting high?  Stress!)  :)

catholicmamamia
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Quoting Sarah725: Sounds like you have a good plan set in place, GL!!

peaches_04
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 5:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I hope you have an awesome birth wherever it ends up being
Trailerparkmom
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 5:44 AM

Do you know the new Dr very well?  Do they agree with your birth plan too?  That would cause me alot of stress too!  I think your feelings are valid.

Quoting ceckyl:

Yeah i think you're right. I didn't think it would bother me, but I'm feeling a lot of stress over it. Unfortunately she's gone until feb! That sucks about your midwife :(. It's amazing the kind if relationship you can build with someone who's practically a stranger.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

I understand why you'd be nervous to deliver, as the doc you've built a trusting relationship with  is on vacation.  How long will she be away?  Is there a chance she'll be back in time, as you have two weeks left to go?

Can you make a special appointment with the new gal just to get to know her better?  Keeping our minds at ease is a huge step in having a successful birth...

Good Luck, mama!

(P.S.  I was just told at my 34 week appointment that the midwife is having major surgery and won't likely be able to attend my birth.  I FREAKED out!  Seriously!  This is a woman I've built a relationship with over the past two pregnancies and now all that is down the tubes!  And they wonder why my sleep patterns are so terrible and my BP is getting high?  Stress!)  :)

Trailerparkmom
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 5:46 AM

Your birth attendant and their attitude can have a huge impact on birth and postpartum and how they are treated.  I hope you can do something to ease your fears about the different Dr.  I agree with the above poster who suggested an extra appointment or two to get to meet the new Dr and make sure they agree with your birth preferences.  

ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:56 AM
I've met her once last week. She said she's on board with the natural stuff, but the appointment was very rushed. I know she's not going to 'baby' me but I would have liked for her to take a little bit more time.

Quoting Trailerparkmom:

Your birth attendant and their attitude can have a huge impact on birth and postpartum and how they are treated.  I hope you can do something to ease your fears about the different Dr.  I agree with the above poster who suggested an extra appointment or two to get to meet the new Dr and make sure they agree with your birth preferences.  

Mrs.Salz
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Totally normal and legitimate feelings!

Do keep in mind most of your time at the hospital is with the nursing staff, not the doctor, but like others said maybe you could schedule an extra appointment or two to talk with your new doctor.

Looking forward to hearing your birth story :)

FebPenguins
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I have to agree. I never had a hospital birth but freaked more about my last hb than my first but we pulled off having my two children with us, without other help. It was just my dh and the midwife.

Quoting snowangel1979:

It's completely normal. It wouldn't matter if it was a home birth, hospital birth Ect you would still be freaking out. LOL.

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Here's a tip for when you see your new doctor next:  Write down a list of questions and leave space to write her answers.  Don't let the appointment end until ALL of your questions are answered TO YOUR SATISFACTION! 

Explain that this is a very important time in your life and you appreciate her taking the time to help you feel at ease with the change of doctors....

mega_sc
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I think it's natural to be nervous no matter which path you choose. I had a pleasant experience with my hospital birth.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)