Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I just bought my second cloth diaper!

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 6:34 AM
  • 14 Replies

Starting my collection early. I am 4 weeks pregnant and now have one adorable pocket diaper. Today I just bought a pack of 10 prefolds and an adorable cover. Here is the cover I bought on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00608N3V4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

The prefolds I bought are the Gerber brand. They seem really thin. If you have used the gerber prefolds how many do you use for day/night? Do you love prefolds? Hate them? Tell me your favorite and least favorite things about prefolds. 

:-) 

by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 6:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
schultzal
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:01 AM
I have read and heard that the Gerber prefolds aren't very absorbent. :-/

I love prefolds but only use them during the day, because I am just way too tired for folding and all of that in the middle of the night. 18-24 is a good amount to have with a newborn, if you wash every other day. I would also have 4-6 covers. That breastfed newborn poo is so runny and sometimes leaks onto the cover.

I like letting my DD wear a prefold without a cover so her bum can "breathe", when we are just at home and she is having some time on her playmat. I really love how easy prefolds are to wash and how quickly they line dry (no dryer, here). If you haven't already, I would get a couple of Snappis- they make prefolds super easy to close. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CowgirlSoldier
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:05 AM

The Gerber ones I bought just seem so thin.. I am going to invest in some other brands that have a better repuation. :-) 

schultzal
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:06 AM
2 moms liked this
cottonbabies.com and greenmountaindiapers.com have great prefolds. Cottonbabies also has free shipping! :)

Quoting CowgirlSoldier:

The Gerber ones I bought just seem so thin.. I am going to invest in some other brands that have a better repuation. :-) 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
butterflyk1ssez
by Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Buy a kawaii bamboo!! YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT ONCE YOU PUT IT ON DA BABY!!

I own four and man, holy crap. I love them. I've been using that since my son was 1 year and started heavy wetting/sleeping through the night and the price is so nooooooot bad at all. And, btw they are fairly prices.

the cottonbabies website and green mountain diapers rule. Also osocozy prefolds are pretty good! I love flats too [so easy to wash and take care of!] don't shy away from flats when you see what they look like. That was my biggest surprise how much I loved them once I used one.

Oh yeah, get a water tester! jackbenatural.com and cottonbabies sell them. I regret not buying a water tester in the beginning.

catholicmamamia
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:46 PM

We have that cover.. so cute! 

catholicmamamia
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Quoting schultzal: cottonbabies.com and greenmountaindiapers.com have great prefolds. Cottonbabies also has free shipping! :)

hapababies
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Congratulations :)
Do you still live in Guam?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CowgirlSoldier
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 3:09 AM

I do still live in Guam. I am going to have to learn what websites that sell cloth do and don't ship here. I will be on Guam for 11 months after baby is born. :-) 

Quoting hapababies:

Congratulations :)
Do you still live in Guam?

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I have heard bad things about gerber prefolds. I really like cottonbabies. 

Kyonarai
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:14 AM

As of black friday, I just bought my...six...ty...ith...oh dear lord, someone check me into CDAnon....(the flats don't count right? Somebody please tell me the flats don't count. Cause if they do...60 is an understatement.)

I would reccomend steering away from Gerber prefolds if you can. They aren't nearly as absorbant as many other brands. I highly reccomend Diaper rite brand prefolds and flats (from Diaperjunction.com).

I personally prefer flats over prefolds. I just fold them into a pad and lay them into a cover. They have the same absorbancy as a prefold though, so the only advantage is that they wash easier since they are only one layer. So if washing isn't an issue, I'd go for prefolds. Also, I do like that they are smooth, as opposed to quilty like a prefold, because it makes getting poop off of them really easy, which was important after DD started solids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)