Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hyponobabies/Hypnobirth ? Guam, military wife, 1st baby.

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 8:43 AM
  • 22 Replies

I have no idea how I stumbled upon hyponobirthing online,but i did. I ended up on the website www.https://www.hypnobabies.com where I started reading about the self-study course. I live on Guam which is a very remote island in the asian south pacific. Guam is a territory of the U.S. and I am here because my husband is in the military.

There is really only two types of birthing options here. There is the Navy Hospital Guam, which offers modern birthing (western medicine). At the hospital, like many others, they are very c-section happy, pitocin happy, and induction happy. These are all things I am VERY against for my birthing experience.

There is a birthing center on Guam called Sagua Managu. The birthing center allows for drug free birthing without much interference. My ideal birth would be an at home water birth with a midwife and a doula. Because I live on a military installation I cannot have a home birth. There are no 'home midwives' or doulas on Guam that I am aware of. Because of this I am crushed that for the birth of my first child I will not able to have the type of birth I want. 

I contacted Sagua Managu and they do not allow water births. I am looking more to see if they allow birthing tubs so I can labor in the tub and get out at the time i need to start pushing. 

I feel like because of all the let downs and feeling like I am being forced to birth a way I do not want to, maybe hypnobirthing will help me. 

Has anyone else had this type of experiace. Have you used hypnobirthing? Had problems with not being able to birth how/where you want. Please help me through this journey. I have a lot of learning to do in the next 9 months. 

by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 8:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Hypnobabies and hypnobirthing are both great programs. I haven't used them personally but know a number of moms who have and really liked it.

I hope you are able to get the birth you are looking for! It's so frustrating when options are so limited. Have you tried asking in one of the military moms groups on here to see if someone else has been in a similar situation?

catholicmamamia
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:49 PM

BUMP for hypnobirthers.. :o) 

lundaylove
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

ive never used hypnobirth but i do know for a fact that YES you can give birth at home on a military installation. i am a military wife and although we live off base i have several friends who've given birth on bases with absolutely no problems. 

CowgirlSoldier
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 3:03 AM

I'm glad you said that because I didn't know. I was under the impression if you live on a military installation you can't have a home birth.

I wish that it was an option for me, but unless I want an unassited birth for my first birth then it can't happen for me. There are no home midwives on Guam. 

Quoting lundaylove:

ive never used hypnobirth but i do know for a fact that YES you can give birth at home on a military installation. i am a military wife and although we live off base i have several friends who've given birth on bases with absolutely no problems. 

Raeann11
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 11:22 AM

My hubby and I read books with our second on hypnobirthing. With her at home we were able to do it. But once at the hospital I lost all control(very long story there). 

With my third. My midwife was amazing at this. She got me so relaxed in the water and for an hour I was able to just lay there and it just felt like a strong cramp. It was amazing what I felt and how I felt. 

I can't wait to be able to do this again in a few months. 

princess_peach
by Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I used HypnoBirthing for my second and it was great! I delivered all natural in a hospital. I had such a great expedience that I became an instructed so I can teach others how they can have that kind of experience too!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this
There is a doula, I'm going to have to ask my friend who had her if she still has her contact info. The doula's name is Ronnie.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lundaylove
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 1:36 PM

maybe hire a traveling midwife from the states? it costs a bit more but is worth it. a friend just did this for her hbac over in turkey. 

Quoting CowgirlSoldier:

I'm glad you said that because I didn't know. I was under the impression if you live on a military installation you can't have a home birth.

I wish that it was an option for me, but unless I want an unassited birth for my first birth then it can't happen for me. There are no home midwives on Guam. 

Quoting lundaylove:

hapababies
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 6:10 PM
The plane ticket to guam is $1,100-$1,600 and those are the cheap tickets :(
Although I'm sure the ticket to Turkey isn't cheap either.

Quoting lundaylove:

maybe hire a traveling midwife from the states? it costs a bit more but is worth it. a friend just did this for her hbac over in turkey. 

Quoting CowgirlSoldier:

Quoting lundaylove:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM
Can you see Dr. Bordallo? I had a few friends deliver through her and were very satisfied with how their births went. I have heard that she is pretty natural minded, plus, I belIeve she works with midwives in her practice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)