Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Hyponobabies/Hypnobirth ? Guam, military wife, 1st baby.

I have no idea how I stumbled upon hyponobirthing online,but i did. I ended up on the website www.https://www.hypnobabies.com where I started reading about the self-study course. I live on Guam which is a very remote island in the asian south pacific. Guam is a territory of the U.S. and I am here because my husband is in the military.

There is really only two types of birthing options here. There is the Navy Hospital Guam, which offers modern birthing (western medicine). At the hospital, like many others, they are very c-section happy, pitocin happy, and induction happy. These are all things I am VERY against for my birthing experience.

There is a birthing center on Guam called Sagua Managu. The birthing center allows for drug free birthing without much interference. My ideal birth would be an at home water birth with a midwife and a doula. Because I live on a military installation I cannot have a home birth. There are no 'home midwives' or doulas on Guam that I am aware of. Because of this I am crushed that for the birth of my first child I will not able to have the type of birth I want. 

I contacted Sagua Managu and they do not allow water births. I am looking more to see if they allow birthing tubs so I can labor in the tub and get out at the time i need to start pushing. 

I feel like because of all the let downs and feeling like I am being forced to birth a way I do not want to, maybe hypnobirthing will help me. 

Has anyone else had this type of experiace. Have you used hypnobirthing? Had problems with not being able to birth how/where you want. Please help me through this journey. I have a lot of learning to do in the next 9 months. 

by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 8:43 AM
Replies (21-22):
duolamama
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Hi! I have to tell you that I have lived on Guam for many years (05-09) and most recently have moved back in September.  I gave birth to my first child at Sagua and it was wonderful.  The practice is small and all the Midwives are friendly, informative and kind.  You must take a birthing class with Barbra Mafnas. She is AMAZING! She is a cerified Lamaze instructor, and also a certified lactation consultant as well.  Besides being toally hilarious and personable she is such a great instuctor!

I must tell you as well that I am going  through DONA, to become a certified Doula.  I cannot wait to serve the laboring woman of Guam! The workshop is from March 1-11 in Bali, Indonesia.  It will be run by three amazing women.  Midwife Robin Lim is one of them and she was awarded the prestigious CNN HERO award of 2011 for her work in midwifery in Indonesia, Bumi Sehat birthing clinic in Ubud, Bali.  Check her out, she is an amazing woman.  Midwife Kathrine Bramhill and CD Debra Poscali-Bonaro round out the instructors. 

I will be getting involved in Sagua Managu's community as soon as I am back on Guam from the workshop.  I hope this has helped a bit in your quest for information about your natural childbirth options on Guam.

please keep an ear to the ground for a certified DONA doula coming to serve Sagua Managu.

BaileysMom9
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I have heard a lot of amazing things about hypnobirthing although don't have any personal experiencce with it.  I'm sorry you're in such a tough spot when it comes to providers :(  I understand the feeling.  While I don't live in Guam, or a remote island, I live in western North Dakota, which may as well be a remote island lol.  We have no CNM's or homebirth midwives in our area either, and I got stuck with the only OB practice in town.  I've had a really hard time coming to terms with having another hospital birth (this would be my 4th) and having an OB who doesn't seem to care about me as a person.  My husband and I finally made the decision to go ahead with a UC.  It was not a decision I've taken lightly, but  I truly feel like it's the right decision for my family and for our last birth.  I was tired of feeling like I didn't have any options, and this has been a liberating decision :)  If I was in your shoes, I would probably go to the birth center, as it seems to be a really nice facility, and you would have your midwives.  Being your first baby, if it was me, that's where I would feel most comfortable.  But like another pp said, she had a UC with her first.  It's all about educating yourself and doing as much research as possible to know if that's the right decision for you or not.  Good luck in your decision.  I understand how frustrating all of this can be. 

PS... I have a friend who's husband is stationed in Guam and has been for the past few years, Katelin and Wayne Kelly.  Don't know how big the base is or if you would know them, but they're great people :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN