Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Heart Palpitations - 30 1/2 weeks pregnant

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 8:15 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hey ladies - I'm 30w5d today and for the last week I've had on and off heart palpitations lasting anywhere from 30 minutes to four hours.  It feels like my heart is beating way too hard and at the base of my neck.  I had an OB appt on Thursday and I mentioned it but got told "normal" and sort of, I feel, blown off.  

I looked it up and I know it *can* be normal.  I have normal BP (it was 117/76 I think?) and no other issues but I guess the frequency and seeming severity concerns me.  Has anyone else had this? What can I do to stop it? It doesn't seem to be associated with any specific activity.

Thanks!

- Sarah -

CafeMom Tickers

by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 8:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 8:33 PM
Well, I had it in third tri both times, but not nearly that extreme. Both times I brought it up to my provider and was told its normal, neither time was I asked about frequency nor duration. I don't think.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SadieJames
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Quoting jellyphish:

Well, I had it in third tri both times, but not nearly that extreme. Both times I brought it up to my provider and was told its normal, neither time was I asked about frequency nor duration. I don't think.

Thank you.  I guess I just needed to be reassured that it is indeed normal.  Did anything help you get rid of them? It's very annoying since its so worrisome. 

unspecified42
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I would talk to your practitioner about it. Palpitations certainly can be very normal during pregnancy and are benign the vast majority of times, but in rare cases can indicate more serious problems. I'm usually really not an alarmist, but right before Thanksgiving we lost a young and otherwise healthy mom in our ER to heart failure. She was 5 days post partum and didn't know she had developed it during her pregnancy.

SadieJames
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Quoting unspecified42:

I would talk to your practitioner about it. Palpitations certainly can be very normal during pregnancy and are benign the vast majority of times, but in rare cases can indicate more serious problems. I'm usually really not an alarmist, but right before Thanksgiving we lost a young and otherwise healthy mom in our ER to heart failure. She was 5 days post partum and didn't know she had developed it during her pregnancy.

Thanks.  I have another appt on the 13th so I will readdress.  I'm seeing all the OBs in a practice (6 total) so I see a different one next appt - maybe they'll be a little better at addressing my concerns.  Do you know any other signs or symptoms I should be aware of? I feel fine otherwise so I guess I'm not super worried - just a little worried.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:26 PM
No, I never found anything to even try, but like I said they didn't bother me much. Cinnamon is awesome for heart health, you can put some in some food or drink daily.
And I definitely agree with bringing it up again, I'm glad you're planning to.

Quoting SadieJames:

Quoting jellyphish:

Thank you.  I guess I just needed to be reassured that it is indeed normal.  Did anything help you get rid of them? It's very annoying since its so worrisome. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Usually normal.  Make sure you mention it any time you have it, in case a pattern starts to develop.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I had it with both of my pregnancies and was told it was normal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)